yam wr400f -1999- metal in the oil filter ?

wr 1157

Mar 19, 2006
just changed the oil and filter on a wr i bought last month,, not been on it yet,i`ve done new o-ring renthal chain,talon sprocket`s ,new wavy discs serviced the brake`s etc.....
what damage could i be expecting from the metal bit`s in the oil filter?????what repair`s should i expect?? should i take it to a shop and let them look?????
input appreciated.... :bang: :blah: :blah:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
wr 1157 said:
what damage could i be expecting from the metal bit`s in the oil filter?????what repair`s should i expect?? should i take it to a shop and let them look?????
QUOTE]

That depends on the size of the metal peices. If the oil has a metalic color then it could just be worn aluminum from the clutch. That is normal. If the bits are large enough to feel between your fingers or are steel, then you may have some problems. Check them with a magnet to see if they are aluminum or steel.

Since your bike shares the gearbox oil with the engine oil, it's not good to have metal peices floating around inside the engine. You may want to cut the filter apart and take it to your local shop for a look.

Top Bottom