Orangeman64

Jan 14, 2005
I'm looking at buying a new bike but have never ridden a 4 stroke. My 2 choices are a 05 YZ 250 or a 05 WR450F. I would have to convert the 250 into a woods machine. What would be the pros and cons of the 2 stroke vs the 4 stroke and also the MX bike to the Enduro. I just had a 200 YZ stolen from my garage so thats what I'll have to compare a new bike to. Thanks, many feedbacks requested please. Thanks, you guys have come through for all my other questions on here, don't fail me now, lots of $$$ on the line for this one.

Bill

Feb 20, 2004
the two stroke will be lighter and more "snappy" to the response you give it. not to mention easier to work on and maintain. the WR 450 is more of a "tank" its heavier and has a top heavy feel. as for conversion. a FFW, fork and shock re-valve for softer feel, larger tank for longer rides. after that you are close to having an nice offroad bike that is light and fast. :cool:

Orangeman64

Jan 14, 2005
I had done all those mods to my old YZ also all new FMF exhaust, frame guards, skid plate, bark busters, re jetted, and custom graphics, guess I did too good of a job, had only been completed for a week when someone decided they wanted it without paying. The weight difference is 33 lbs between the YZ and the WR.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Def. YZ, but I'd look @ a KTM 250 or 300 MXC/EXC if you're only doing trail riding. My YZ is great, but I spent a lot of money setting it up for hare scrambles, much of which was spent on stuff the KTM comes w/.

I used to hate KTM handling, but the '05's handle great and feel much more like the Japanese comp.

B

biglou

I think the weight diff between the YZ and the WR is considerably more than 33lbs, but I could be wrong. Given your two choices, I vote for the YZ for the reasons already mentioned. The 05 has incredible low end. Suspension, some barkbusters and a skid plate and it's ready for woods.

On the kTm's, I have been reading that the new ones are the best turning kTm's to date.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
If your doing trails only get the WR450. Its already setup for woods type riding (soft suspension and 18" rear wheel) and Yamaha changed the WR for 05 to get rid of the top heavy feel. YZ wont be able to chug slow and its extremely responsive (good and bad). Suspension will be stiff. If you occasionally hit the track or ride very fast wide open trails the YZ would be better.

SmogNazi

Apr 29, 2005
Forget that 4 stoke junk.

The newer hi-po 4 strokes are basically 2 stokes with valves. They require more matienance, and cost much more money than a 2 stoke to fix. The only think i would want a 4 stoke in is a quad or a good running non-raced out 4 stroke like the XR400.

stick with the 2 stroke

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
SmogNazi said:
Forget that 4 stoke junk.

The newer hi-po 4 strokes are basically 2 stokes with valves. They require more matienance, and cost much more money than a 2 stoke to fix. The only think i would want a 4 stoke in is a quad or a good running non-raced out 4 stroke like the XR400.

stick with the 2 stroke

Please don't start a 2 strokes are better thread. It's going good for now, we don't need to get it closed. Thanks.

But, my oppinion? The '05 WR is super top heavy compared to the the new YZ. So, the YZ250 gets my vote. :cool:

W00TsP0P

Jan 18, 2005
Ask yourself this?

am i going to ride woods only?
if the answer is no than get the YZ!
the WR will never be a race/play/jumper bike.
although the YZ in not the best choice for trails it is abetter choice for someone who wants to ride woods and get air too.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Why only the WR?

Personally I'm a 2-stroke guy but I've ridden enough of the Thumpers to say they're good machine's too but the way the engines work feels different then 2-strokes.

My question is why have you limited your choices to the YZ or WR? I'm no expert but the YZF's are pretty good machines also (as are the CRF's and so on...). I've never ridden a WR but they remind me of the old Honda XL's from back in the day...indestructible but what a lug!

I would say keep an open mind and find what really suits your style... could be 4-stroke MXers, 2-stroke, KTM, or maybe you settle on the WR. An 05 is goona be an expensive investment so make sure you get something you'll be happy with for years to come :cool:

Best of luck and enjoy!!

pace

Nov 21, 2003
The WR is an unwieldy hunk of metal (relatively speaking). If you wish to give serious consideration to a 4-stroke then look at the KTMs or the CRFX

crfisnotgood

Mar 25, 2005
pace said:
The WR is an unwieldy hunk of metal (relatively speaking). If you wish to give serious consideration to a 4-stroke then look at the KTMs or the CRFX

The KTM's might be a better choice than a WR, but why is a CRFX a better choice than a WR?

If you look for a woods bike i say go with a KTM 2-stroke woods bike.

Top Bottom