Yamaha Big Wheel, what type of chain does it use?

yamaha1

Feb 2, 2001
I am looking to replace the chains on my Yamaha Big Wheel. It uses a normal 520 chain in the rear, but the front chain is a wider chain. Yamaha wants $120 for it, even though it is only like 30 links long. Anyone know what type of chain it is? Is there a way to measure it and find out what size of chain it is? Hoping to find another sourse to buy it from. Thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
is this one of those 4 wheeled vehicles? If so, don't count on much useful advise on here. This is a 2 wheeled forum. I think there are forums for the 4 wheeled vehicles, but I've never actually seen one.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Whoa there Indy! Cut the guy some slack. He is speaking of a 2 wheeled vehicle. I have an '85 model BW200 myself. Quite a conversation piece as you don't see many around. If I'm not mistaken, they were only produced as a 200 in '85 & '86. The BW80 spans many more years than that. Is yours an 80 or a 200?

I'm not sure what size the chain is either. I looked at an online fiche and they don't give a size, only a part number and a price of $105. Have you tried taking the chain off and going somewhere like Motion Industries? Maybe a local bearing house would have what you're looking for. I bet Yamaha's not the only company/manufacturer to ever use that size chain. I'll see if I can get a better look at mine and come up with a better answer.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Thats why I included the "If so.... "... I don't recall ever seeing one, or ever hearing of one.

No hating going on, if there was, I'd have said something way different.

yamaha1

Feb 2, 2001
My Big Wheel is a 200. They actually made the 200 from 85-88. They also made a 350cc in '87 and '88. I learned to ride on a BW80. It was my first bike. They made these from 87-88 and again in '90. There is still a pretty high demand for Big Wheels and Honda Fat Cats, which are similar to Big Wheels. My brother has a Fat Cat. They both routinely sell for more now then they cost new. They make excellent irrigating and mountain bikes. I have a buddy that chains his up and uses it all winter in the snow, hunting and horn hunting. They go places that no other bike, short of a Rokon, will go.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The pins on a 520 chain will be 5/8" center-to-center.
If the chain you have has this pin center, yet is wider than the other chain, then it is probably a 525 or a 530 chain (both still a 50 series with 5/8" pin centers).

If the pins are 3/4" centers, you have a 60 series chain, probably a 630.

Measure the pin centers and how wide the rollers are, and we can tell you what chain to shop for.

yamaha1

Feb 2, 2001
Thanks for the info Jaybird. I got the chain off and it is stamped D.I.D. 50HDL. I did a search on this and came up empty. At least I now know it is a 50 series. I measured the pin centers to confirm and they do measure 5/8". The rollers measure from .375-.380" wide. The sprocket measures .340" wide. So is this a 525 or 530 chain?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Jaybird,

I took a few measurements myself. I came up with 5/8" center to center on the pins. I didn't know what other measurements to reference, so I measured the width of the inner lengths at .58 and the width of the outer lengths at .80. These measurements are approximate with a cheap digital dial caliper. I'm just rereading your post and see you said to measure roller width. I'll have to check that one tomorrow.

Mark

yamaha1

Feb 2, 2001
I found a webpage that lists chain dimensions. Looks like it is a 530 chain. It lists roller width for a 525 at 5/16" (.3125") and roller width for a 530 at 3/8" (.375"). They also list sprocket width for a 530 at .343." Thanks guys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom