ekesz13

Aug 19, 2003
Does anyone know where to get Yamaha blue spray paint? I am painting some of my plastics on my older YZ250 and can't seem to find the exact color. Any suggestions? THanks.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Also here is a tip use Dupont plastic prep and follow the directions that is the only way that you can get the paint to stick Believe me when I painted my first Fiero (plastic body pannels) I did not use it and the paint did not stay for more than 2 years, since then I use it always on each Fiero I paint

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
For what it's worth, I used PJ1 Yam Blue paint a couple months ago. It came off as soon as I hit it with contact cleaner. You may want to try the clear coat they recommend - I didn't but will next time.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The yamaha electric blue paint that PJ1 sells is a lacquer paint. Not the best suited paint for off road bikes but you can clear it with a uerathane enamel to protect it. I had fairly decent luck spraying graphics on my radiator shroud and fuel tank.

I let the tank set empty with the cap off for atleast a week and scrubbed it real well with a scrub brush and Comet. Then I washed all plastic I was going to paint with mild soap and water with a scotch brite pad to make sure it was clean and to take off any gloss on the panels. Since I was only making a design I masked off the areas and then washed off the areas to be painted with Acetone. I was certain it was only going to flake off with time but was pleasantly wrong. It did however wear off from the inside of my knees like is was sanded off in a couple of spots.

ekesz13

Aug 19, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. I am only planning on painting my radiator shrouds blue since they are kinda scarred up and would match the rest of the scheme. I will coat them with the clear as suggested. I will let you know how it turns out. The only thing I am worried about is that since my bike was originally red/white ('86 yz250) and the guy I bought it from changed it to blue/white, I don't know what blue will match. I figured there was one "Yamaha Blue" but I was wrong. I will try the electric blue, since the others look purple and my bike is definately blue, just like the blue on most "Yamaha" stickers.

ekesz13

Aug 19, 2003
I just checked with PJ1, the only yamaha blues they carry are:

Yamaha Blue '97
Product # 17-YB7
Net Weight 11 oz.
MSRP $7.51

Yamaha Blue '98-'02
Lacquer
Product # 17-YB8
Net Weight 11 oz.
MSRP $7.51

Both of these are purpleish, not the old school blue. The lady on the phone said that was all they offer. Does that mean I am out of luck??

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
As far as I know there are 3 yamaha blues for the dirtbikes

old IT blue <robin's egg Blue?.
97 blue <Navy>
98 and later which is the "electric" blue.

Fuzzy,

shouldnt the 94 be violet?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
The '94 YZ was...What a gay color! I guess mine has the '97 Navy so I'm not positive how this will match the 'old' blue.... :(

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Here's a pic of mine...Hard to see the frame as it has guards, but it's definitely a dark navy w/ no purple....

Attachments

• wr.jpg
    wr.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 232

ekesz13

Aug 19, 2003
I will have to take a picture of my bike to show the color. Since it was changed over from the red/white scheme, I am sure he just used any available blue, so I might be down the wrong path. I will probably just try to color match it with a quality plastic paint. I will post a picture on Monday when I get back to work.

Top Bottom