gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
hey i have a dt100e and its just been sitting in my backyard for two years rusting and just slowly deteriorating so i decided to fix it up and get it working, but my problem is that the front brake is stuck from sitting there through winter and my front wheel just wont budge. i dont know how to get my front brake to release. the lines and rusted up so i sprayed some wd-40 in them and it still didnt do anything. ive tried some forums and havent gotten any respone so i hope someone can help me in this one. thanks!

gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
alright well i fixed the brake problem but im having trouble starting it. i think the fuel isnt coming through or something but i tried to push start it and when i kick it in gear id give full throttle but nothing it would sound like its on but it wouldnt move and then when it stops rolling it would cut off. im going to take the carb out and check it but im not sure if something is wrong with my gas tank.

gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
well i did what 2 strokes for life said and i cleaned every thing including the carb. but it still wont start, it only has like 211 miles on it so i doubt it should need too much work. i had started it like a year ago and it would idle but when it came to driving, id put it in gear and give some gas and it would try to go and then stall. so i dont know why it doesnt start now?

Skookill

Jul 10, 2007
Pull the carb and clean out the jets and every nook and cranny. The old gas has to have everything gummed up by now. Thats also why you could start it and idle, but not go with gas... clogged jets. Sounds like some major crud in the carb/jets.

Skookill

Jul 10, 2007
Take the new plug and touch it to the engine block, kick the bike over and see if you get spark at the tip of the plug. This way you'll know if its electrical or fuel related.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Good point on spark (no pun intended). My first bike was a '76 DT100 and they still had breaker point ignitions (the 250 and 400 had CDI).

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I'm almost certain the battery has no affect on spark. I used to have an old XL honda and the thing would run fine without a battery at all.
If it still has points/condenser, the condenser is likely bad. Points may be cleanable and o.k. Points and condenser set should be pretty cheap....less than $25 I'm thinkin.

gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
lol ok just to let you guys know, im a reallll newbie so i only know soo much, i dont know anything about electrical so about the points/condenser, where is that on the bike?

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
ooops, just looked your bike parts up on yamaha-motor.com. It has an electronic ignition, no points/condenser. In the service data, page 1 it does have resistance values for the coils if you have a good multimeter.
Check to make sure your shutoff isn't shorted either. Trace the wires from the switch to the coil and you should be able to simply unplug it/them there to test.

gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
so i have to take off the headlight? because all of the wires go through there...and also where did you find my motor on the yamaha website? like do you have a link to it??

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001

gtdragon980

Jul 22, 2007
i still have no luck with the electrical but all i know is that the spark plug isnt sparking and i dont know whats really causing it...sorry if im really newbie but im trying to fix up this bike

Top Bottom