WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I was feeling sorry for this board so I thought I'd enter a new post.&nbsp;&nbsp;
About a year ago I rode a friend's '73 XL250 at a vintage mx race.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was a lot like doing multiple laps on a grass track.&nbsp;&nbsp;Ever since then I've been looking for a vintage mx bike and have found a '74 Yamaha DT360 that is very affordable (free).&nbsp;&nbsp;My intention is to pull off the lights and speedometer then use it for vintage motocross.&nbsp;&nbsp;The bike does run but will need to be completely torn down and rebuilt.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Can anyone give me specific details about this bike?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Is it worth the time to rebuild or should I look for something else?

philb

Oct 28, 1999
hi woodsrider, i don't have any specific details on the DT360 but i did own one about 18 yrs. ago or so. 74 DT360 but it was beat.even so it had good power off the bottom and i could pull the front wheel off the ground in 5th at speed.(i was 15 and weighed 135 lbs.)not much suspension either, but i put on a seat from a 76 YZ125 and that helped some. i paid $30. for it back then. i don't know if it would have been worth rebuilding altho it was very reliable.

philb

motogeeze

Aug 11, 1999
Hey woodsrider, we dont need your pity, we've got enough, we own vintage bikes!!! Seriously though, go ahead and strip that puppy down and take it to the races. A lotta guys used to do just that back in the day, I'm betting youll be soon looking for an MX or YZ so's youll have some decent brakes and chassis,regardless have fun and good luck...

------------------
motogeeze "go big or go home!"

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hey Bill, the guy I want you to haul a bike up north for has a '74 DT360. He was on it when I met you at the Buffalo!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Plenty of power, low to the ground, handles well, durable and servicable, good parts availability.&nbsp;&nbsp;My friend Brian is Mr. Vintage Yamaha in the midwest, so he can help you out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Drop an email to Digitmstr@aol.com for more info.

The northbound bike is a Rokon 340 automatic for parts.&nbsp;&nbsp;He has one now, the enduro model, and made it street legal.&nbsp;&nbsp;The thing is FAST he says, works great on the trails.&nbsp;&nbsp;See ya, TexKDX.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Phil, Geeze & Tex,

Thanks for the input on the DT360. Looks like I'll pick it up in January, provided the world is not in total chaos.

Am I correct in assuming vintage mx does not have the "big air" jumps found in regular mx?

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Yes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Get hold of my buddy and he'll set you up about vintage in your area.&nbsp;&nbsp;He races like 20 events a year, just bought an evo class 125 ('80 YZ).

Warhawk

Sep 17, 1999
The new issue of VMX magazine, a great Australian magazien covering vintage motocross and dirtbikes, has an article about a low buck vintage racer based on a DT360. If you'll email me at jimnelson@my-deja.com I'll scan the article (it'll be next week before I can get to a scanner) and email it to you.

Here is the URL for VMX magazine,&nbsp;&nbsp;http://vmxmag.com.au/

------------------
Jim Nelson - Douglass, Kansas
1989 Honda XR250R
1994 Honda XR650L
1976 Yamaha TT500C
1999 Honda Recon

Warhawk

Sep 17, 1999
If anyone was interested in the VMX article on the DT360 racer, I have scanned it and can send it via email.

jimnelson@my-deja.com

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
Warhawk, did you mention something about a VMX article on a late model KX250?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, and you have a chance to scan it, I'd love a copy.&nbsp;&nbsp;

------------------
Michael Stembridge
88 KX500
AMA #728373 GARTRA BRC
http://dirtrider.net/gaoffroad
Georgia Off Road

Top Bottom