MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
did a service on the bike today, did the spark plug, oil change, took off the carb and cleaned out the jets and bowl(had a good bit of dirt and gunk in it) shot all the jets clean and the bowl and all. got it all back together and wouldn't start for nothin. key, run switch, gas, and choke were all on. but nothing.

HHEELLPP!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
yeah, it was running before, although it wouldn't idle. is there something I need to do to get the bowl full of gas after a cleaning, it was my first time to do that on a bike. I don't think the floats are stuck, you can hear them flopping when you shake it up and down.I assume it has spark, it did before....even charged the battery. what did you mean by make the jets bigger, I didn't go diggin at them with a paper clip or anything, I just shot thru them with the carb cleaner til a good stream was going thru each jet and passage. got me stumped for sure.

thanx for the responses, keep em comin!

Jan 3, 2007
Your crank seal could be gone. Or you could have a hole in the airbox or carb boot that is drawing in too much air. Also the base gasket could be leaking wich would creat a vacume seal.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
had a hard time getting the rubber boot from the carb to the airboxback on the airbox good, so hard to get to. but figured it would stillstart though. was gonna fight it some more after I got it runnin...but it wouldn't. so is that making it too lean?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
If your bike wont start at all check to see if you have spark. Did you use a new plug? even if its new its not always good. You may have just flooded it and fould the plug, is the plug wet? If you have a fat blue spark then check the carb. Are you getting fuel? is the carb leaking fuel from the vent? The air boot from carb to air box wont keep it from starting if its off. you shouldnt mess with the needle until you get it started then tune it if you need to.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
thanx for the rply, i'll check that stuff out Wed. when I'm off work.yes it was a new plug, no I didn't see gas from the vent tube, will check spark Wed., gas is going thru the line, don't know if flooded. so nothing special to do to get the bowls full? they should fill up on their own right (with choke and throttle while kicking)? :whoa:

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
If the floats, needle valve & seat are right and the filter isnt pluged gravity will fill the bowl. I dont know what floats you have but some can be put in upside down. Check spark first, did you set the plug gap?

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
didn't take the floats out of the carb, didn't gap plug, they said they were pre-gapped, and I don't have the manual to know what its supposed to be

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
ok, today, checked the spark, its big and blue, pulled the carb back off and the bowl had plenty of gas in it. put the carb back ongas on, key on, run switch on, choke on, kicked it many times and not even a sputter. shot starting fluid in it(against my better judgement) and nothing. not even a whimper. wondering about compression now. what else could this be?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
:think: Unless your reed valves are broke or have something in them, or its flooded I'm stumped. Even if it has low compression it started before you took it apart it should start now.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
I did disconnect the oil injection and plugged the line so I could use premix. could this have made it not start because of the plugged oil inj. line?

robbie_new

Feb 20, 2007
i have that same bike and had the same problem when you took the carb off and put it back on didi you make sire that the slot in the plastic ring in the carb (where it attaches to the motor) is lined up with the screw where you tighten the carb to the motor. this creates a vacum and instead of sucking gas from the carb it sucks air

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
no, I had no idea that it was even there. I just kinda went back and forth with the carb andslid it onto the pipe from the motor. the plug as wet though, and smells like gas. but I will check that out for sure. oh and while I'm at it, how do you get the rubber boot from the carb to the air box back on? its drivin me crazy. and if I ever have to do a top end on it, I cant figure out how to get the exhaust pipe off...thanx!

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
If the plug is wet its getting fuel probably too much and its flooded. You may still have a problem with the carb, or it could just be flooded, it happens. Turn off the fuel try a new plug or clean the old one, it should eventually clear out and start, you may have to clean the plug a few times before it starts.

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
If you put the carb slide in backwards than it won't close completely and the bike won't start. Also check the timing, if your flywheel sheared it's key than your timing could be way off and it won't start. Using starting fluid could bend your rod.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
did try the starting fluid, but it didn't even sputter. I'll have to check the carb stuff out tommorrow. hope to get her runnin this weekend.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
ok, been a while, but found out I may have flooded it when I tried the restart. was told that if you use the choke and throttle, it could have sucked gas down into the crankcase causing it to gas foul the plug.

so guess I got to pull the plug, remove the tank, and turn the bike upside down...kick it over a few times while upside down.

turn back over put in new plug and try to start with carb cleaner only(no choke and no throttle) , if it starts it'll draw the gas in and then run as it should.

so, I guess I got something to do tommorrow...hope it works!

yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
or you could try my way you don't have to do all of that when i flooded my bike i just put a paper towell in the hole and kicked very hard for about 10mins and tried to start it without the gas plugged up witha new spark plug and any gas that was still in there would make the bike run and it will burn all the gas out if there is any in there, but this only works if the bike works.

MadKaw500

Mar 4, 2007
well, the bike didn't start. tried and tried and tried...wore me out. can't get anywhere with this little bike. put my finger over the plug hole and it didn't pop my finger off. but don't know how much compression is supposed to be in this little engine. anybody know?

Top Bottom