Yamaha or Honda? Plus Help with suspension?

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Hi there, I'm quite new to this website but i must say, it is GREAT!
I'm only 13 but i love to ride and this site is always the first place i come on to check things out.

I have two questions i need an answer for.:

1. I have a 1982 Honda XR100 that i love, but one problem. The suspension on it is completely shot, bottoming out on everything. Does anyone know where a good place i could start looking around to restore the front and back suspension? It would really help.

2. My 1982 Honda is just to small for me now, after riding it for a year i want more power! I have been looking into a Yamaha TTR230 which i really like, but i have heard that the suspension is not that great for doing small jumps. But i know the power is there. Would it be worth it to go with the Yamaha TTR230 and just upgrade suspension, leave the suspension be, or a completely different bike in general?

ALSO:
I am about 140 pounds and 5'10. I can handle power well though. I am very open to any type of bike so please post whatever. I really enjoy jumping bikes but i will not be doing any formal racing. So a bike with enough power on the trail and enough to beat my friends in a race (lol) but with good suspension enough for some jumps here and there.

If you have any answer's please respond!
Thanks,
Corey

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
It wouldnt take much to be an upgrade over the 1982 XR100. If you were riding motocross, I would tell you to buy a 125 2 stroke, but since you are riding trails, there are several options. I would probably recommend a Kawasaki KDX200, KDX220...or a KTM 200EXC might work, although the KTM will cost you more money. You are sort of in that in between phase where nothing fits you perfectly. A CRF150F might work or it could be small for you. I think the TTR230 or an CRF230F may be a bit heavy for you. Maybe you should ride some friends bikes, if possible, and see for yourself.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Thanks so much for the help! I am having trouble finding the kawasaki and KTM models you listed. I'd also want to add that the largest factor in getting my new bike is that it MUST be california green stickered although i mostly will not be riding on public trails. I do go with my dad sometimes so i would really need a california green stickered bike. BUT i really want a bike that i can jump. So if you know any motocross bikes that are green stickered then i think that would be the bike for me. I'm not concerned about the company model. Kawasaki, KTM, yamaha, honda, or any large companies like that are prefered.
Thank you so much,
Corey

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Sorry about earlier! I found the KTM 200EXC. I seriously love this bike it is amazing! It seems that the bike is green stickered. Is this correct?
---------
My dad suggested i Stay away from 2 strokes because they are very tempermental and need to be constantly tuned and worked on. So 2 strokes are out of the option. I was looking at the KTM 250SX-F. It is a 4-stroke. So i am guessing it is green stickered which both make it a buyable bike for me on that part. But Is the bike to much power for me? or is it not made for jumping?

Thanks again,
Corey

Last edited:

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Supermuffin said:
My dad suggested i Stay away from 2 strokes because they are very tempermental and need to be constantly tuned and worked on. So 2 strokes are out of the option. I was looking at the KTM 250SX-F. It is a 4-stroke. So i am guessing it is green stickered which both make it a buyable bike for me on that part. But Is the bike to much power for me? or is it not made for jumping?

Thanks again,
Corey
Your looking into motocross bike. 2 stroke or 4 stroke will require alot of tuning and maintenance. motocross bike = high maintenance bike whatever itis 4 or 2 stroke. Also 4 stroke parts are alot more expensive, also while 2 stroke are cheaper to maintain/repair they are much easy to work on.

If you want a bike wich do not need much tuning and maintenance dont look into motocross bike.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
2 strokes don't need ot be constantly tuned and worked on. Once you get them jetted properly, it's pretty much jump on and go - save for replacing the top ends at the necessary times. My last bike was a Suzuki RM 125 bored to 144. I did little to it other than change oil, clean air filter, adjust chain and replace piston/ring, other wear parts once a year. Every couple years I'd have to replace clutch plates and some other things like that.

200 and 250 2 strokes require relatively less maintenance than a 125.

The new 4 strokes like the KTM 250SX-F (and like my current YZ250f) are going to require somewhat more maintenance than a 2 stroke 200 - and that maintenance will be more expensive than the 2 stroke.

However, if you're casual riding - not racing - it's not like either bike is going to require constant attention and ridiculous amounts of money - unless you blow a motor - in which case the 4 stroke will likely cost 2-4 times more than the 2 stroke to repair.

The new MX style 4 strokes are NOTHING like the XR/TTR type 4 strokes as far as maintenance - and they are NOTHING like the XR/TTR type 4 strokes as far as power. The suspension on an MX style 4 stroke is A LOT better than an XR/TTR - and the MX style bike is significantly lighter.

A TTR 230 probably has in the range (guesstimation - someone correct me if I'm wrong) of 16-18 HP.

A 250f like the KTM you're looking at is the 33-37 HP range.

That's why it requires more maintenance. 2 or more times the HP = you better keep up on maintenance or you'll have an expensive problem.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
mathd said:
Your looking into motocross bike. 2 stroke or 4 stroke will require alot of tuning and maintenance. motocross bike = high maintenance bike whatever itis 4 or 2 stroke. Also 4 stroke parts are alot more expensive, also while 2 stroke are cheaper to maintain/repair they are much easy to work on.

If you want a bike wich do not need much tuning and maintenance dont look into motocross bike.

Define "high maintenance", "much tuning" and "much easier to work on".

I bought into that stuff about the 4 strokes for awhile, as well. The motors aren't that difficult to do a top end on. Harder than a 2 stroke? Yes. Is it actually hard to do a top end on a 4 stroke? Not if you buy a manual and pay attention to what you're doing.

And, again. . . if you're not an "A" or "B" class racer who is racing every weekend and practicing all week with the motor at the rev limit, the maintenance is not that bad on either the 2 stroke or the 4 stroke MX bike.

It's definitely more than the XR/TTR types, though - but IMO, it's definitely worth it for double power, better suspension and lighter weight.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Thanks for all of the help! I'm trying to talk my dad into having a 2 stroke as a possibility.

Really the perfect bike for me would be something in the 200cc range that is green-stickered for california trails but at the same time is a bike that i would be able to ride on a track doing jumps. Not giant doubles or anything insane. just some moderate 10 foot jumps at the maximum, also generally tabletops..
-----------------------------------------------

This brings me to another question, since i am kinda in between racing and trail riding. would it be best to get a trail bike such as the TTR230, and upgrade the suspension and muffler/headers etc...? therefore being able to race it on a track, not at a competition just against friends and doing some moderate size jumps?
---------------------
Also, What KTM bikes are green stickered for california?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You're probably not going to like TTR230 for jumping. They're heavy, have less suspension than an MX style bike and the suspension is not really intended to be jumped like an MX bike.

Take a look at the Yamaha WR250.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Thanks for the advice about the wr250, i have been researching it all day! I think this is possibly the bike for me!

on the yamaha wr250, is it meant to be jumped?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The WR series is the trail version of the MX YZ-F's. It's set up for woods riding, tends to be heavier than the MX bikes - some bikes like that have electric start, lights, heavier flywheels, etc. . . Thus they're heavier.

However, they have detuned versions of the same motor as the YZ-F's and the suspension is MUCH better than a TTR. More like an MX bike but set up for woods instead.

So yes, you can jump a WR. It's not going to be as suitable for jumping big stuff as an MX bike, but it'll work fine for what you're wanting to do.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
robwbright said:
The WR series is the trail version of the MX YZ-F's. It's set up for woods riding, tends to be heavier than the MX bikes - some bikes like that have electric start, lights, heavier flywheels, etc. . . Thus they're heavier.

However, they have detuned versions of the same motor as the YZ-F's and the suspension is MUCH better than a TTR. More like an MX bike but set up for woods instead.

So yes, you can jump a WR. It's not going to be as suitable for jumping big stuff as an MX bike, but it'll work fine for what you're wanting to do.

Do you know of any mx styled bikes that are cailfornia green sticker eligable? a 4-stroke kick start with good suspension and light weight that i could jump and use on a track, but also take it to the trails in california? Possibly a KTM 250sx-f?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Supermuffin

You dont want a KTM 250 SX. SX stands for supercross, which is similar to motocross. As stated, you are looking for a trail bike. I suggested a KDX 200/220 because they are low maintenance 2 strokes with predictable power. It is important to understand that all 2 strokes are not the same. There is a big difference between a KDX and a YZ or CR 2 stroke...in maintenance and power.

I will admit that I know nothing about green stickers...we dont have that here in TX.

Top Bottom