Adam60191

Sep 3, 2009
Hi Guys,

new here and new to the world of minibikes, all bikes for that matter except those without a motor :-)

I recently traded some stuff for a 1999 PW80 in somewhat good condition but didnt run so well, overflowing gas, not idling etc.

Like i was taught i started to figure out myself what could be wrong, keep in mind, i have never worked on a bike or other engines before. Came to the solution that the carb needed to be cleaned! I disaasemblied the carb to find out that the inside had been trashed by previous owner.....the float thingy was bend and could even move freely + scratches inside here and there! I ordered a new Carbfrom Ebay which looks a little different by the way, is this normal, different locations on some of the tube outlets and where the old had a hole in the back for the oil i think this is now on the other side?

Anyways, i got it all assembled again and was really optimistic and after a few tries it did start with the choke on but died again a little bit after that? messed with some of the screw settings all night but the same thing keept happened, i did try to jump start it once and i was able to drive through all the gears but when slowing down to turn around it would stall again.....like it will only run if you keep driving it, no idleling! It did sputter somewhat while driving.

I noticed when emptying the gas yesterday that it looked like old gas? the seller said the gas tank & oil was full but guess he didn't specify if it had been standing for a while :-)

Toe clarify what i have read about and checked:
There is spark from the plug, continuous blue sparks!
There is compression, it did also start but just wont keep running!
bran new carb
Haven't touched the exhaust other than check the restrictor was out, it was!

Any help would be appreciated

Best regards
John, a frustrated father :-)

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
ok john, so the first step is to put new fuel. second step clean the carb. while you are taking the carb from the bike, take also the manifold that holds the carb to the engine. behind that manifold there is a reed valve. inpect it.
if every thing is ok, you might have to jet the carb.
here is a link on subject: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html

Adam60191

Sep 3, 2009
Thankas for your advice, i didnt feel the need to clean the carb as it was bran new but took it apart yesterday to find the jet just tingleling around in the bowl not even attached :-)

Anyways, restoration complete and it drives like a charm

Picture attached of the happy little girl!

Top Bottom