hazer

Sep 15, 2007
i got a 1999 yamaha rt 100 2 stroker. It ran fine this summer but now that its getting cold its starting to bogg out. It doesnt rev high and is nearly impossible to get into powerband. If i ride the bike for about 10 minutes its not bad, but still slow. Someone told me to rejet my carb. How is this done? do i need to buy a totally new jet?. Ive read that carb tuning stickey and it didnt help worth crap lol. Any help is much appreciated

hazer

Sep 15, 2007
The compressions fine, i just rode it and after about 5 mins of running it got going good. I was flying down those fields. Its about 5 degrees celcius here atm. All my friends say its just the cold, and something about it making the air thicker or something. Anyone else?

hazer

Sep 15, 2007
nope none at all. Im the second owner. The first owner said he only took it for 2 or 3 spins each summer at the lake, and hes like 65 lol.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
compresion is the only real thing i can think of, stick it in gear and see if you can move it about 2 feet, if you can, its got low compresion, poor man compresion tester lol. check the head and the plug anyway.

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
im pretty sure youve got an oil injector on your bike that mixes the 2-cycle oil with the gas... it might be clogged or something resulting in a bad mixture. if i were you i would try unplugging it or just emptying it so none is coming out to mix. then find out what mixture your bike needs, mix it yourself, and then take it for a ride. if your oil injector is malfunctioning, this will be the perfect test. a bad mixture will rob your power.

try buying a new plug for it as well, maybe even one thats one step hotter.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Well it's about 5 degrees celsius where I am riding here is Fort Mcmurray and I have no problems. Listen to the compression suggestions and the oil injector suggestion. May be one of those. When the air gets colder it does get more dense (learned that in flight school) so jetting may be a problem but I don't think it would do something that drastic. Try a hotter plug. or better yet change your plug. That could be the problem.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
I fogot about it! my friends rt180 had a similar problem, except he was fouling plugs, turns out he needed new packing and his exhaust pipe had a bunch of oil crud in it, look into that.

hazer

Sep 15, 2007
Could it be the oil injector?? ive heard they can inject to much oil and kill the performance. The bike is a 99' which i could see the pump wearing out after 7 years?

also i checked the exaust and there is no packing in it at all. Just a bunch of oil crude also. How do i repack it? the rod is only about 3 1/2 inches, then the hollow exaust pipe for another 5 inches. Do i wrap it around the rod and stuff some behind it too?

Last edited:
Top Bottom