DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks RM_guy! I haven't had a need to crack open the top end yet though... it runs amazingly as is... but that may be a step to take this summer after we get used to riding it.

So far, I took the tank off and flushed it, took out the petcock and cleaned it, took out the petcock filter and cleaned it, took out the carburator and cleaned it, then took out the airfilter and cleaned that as well.

I also took out the mix-oil reservoir (the oil smelled like a mix of fish and anti-freeze) so I dumped it, cleaned it out, and re-filled it with AmsOil.

I then drained the transmission (milky gray) and re-filled it with MTL (?) 80W synthetic for 2-stroke transmissions.

That's pretty much all it needed. I got her running, messed around with the idle screw and the mix screw and she purrs like a kitten!

I just took her out in the woods about 15 minutes ago through 4 inches of snow and slush (Nor-Easter here in Massachusetts) and it felt like a tank. I didn't feel any bumps, standing on the pegs felt really sturdy, and she'll crawl through anything.

I am very happy with it! My mom and dad aren't as worried now either considering it's more of a cruiser than a racer.

I let my brother ride it and he took a liking right away... it'll keep up amazingly with our quads... First three seconds he was on it he banged through fourth gear, spun it around popped down to first and did a wheelie... So, I think it'll be able to keep up with him too.. Lol.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Dan

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Congrats, Dan. You will have some good times on that bike. You know the procedure on keeping things in good shape, that thing will last forever.

What part of Mass. are you from? My wife and I and her father have ridden up in Wrentham and Franklin. I took my wife up to F. Gilbert once ... if you know anything of it, it's a tad technical for most riders that consider themselves less than a front of the pack "B" rider. We would like to hit Pittsfield sometime soon. The bigger the hill the better :ride:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Were you holding your tongue when you said Athol? LMAO.

Yeah, you are up there a ways. Well, a long way for these New Englanders, they seem to think a 30 minute drives requires packing a lunch.

Let us know how things work out with your bike, maybe you could find the chance to come for a ride with us.

Roostah

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hmmm . . . we gots us an Athol up here in Idaho too.

some people with a lisp say its me

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Most recent developments:

Took a couple links out of the chain, tightened up the rear shock, cleaned out the exhaust, and painted up the pink fork boots and purple seat with vynal paint so they're now black.

I hated it... so I just ordered a set of Red and Black RT180 decals from E-bay, and a Red vynal seat-cover. No more pink and purple!

She's still running great. I didn't see any restrictions in the exhaust port, it is a tad narrow, but if thats the way Yamaha made it... it must be that way for a reason.

My father hopped on it today, (320lbs) and he was flying... Lol. Quite the sight.

OH, by the way fellas, it's Athol... ah-thall. :) Once every few years the newspaper runs a story about someone traveling out to Athol, Idaho... pretty fun... (rolls eyes).

Again, let me know if there's a ride planned in the New England area anytime soon, I can truck the bike anywhere and I really don't care how far, a half-hour drive is nothing to me.

Dan

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
That is a little far. We'll see. I'm actually waiting on a few parts for the bike, so hopefully I'll have her up and ready in a month or two. I need to get a chain, sprockets, hand-guards, and I'm working on putting a headlight of some sort on it.

I'll let you know!

Dan

unevenload

Oct 19, 2017
I know this is 10 years old but I thought I would give it a shot. I am looking for a 1st bike for my 16 year old son. He has never ridden so big and slow sounds really good. I found a RT 180 on Craigslist for $500 that looks good but says it is complete except for the magneto. I know nothing about motorcycles. Without a magneto is this thing just a paperweight? Is finding one even a possibility these days? Thanks in advance for humoring the noob.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A magneto could be tough to find, and buying any bike that doesn't run is a huge risk. Better to keep looking.

Top Bottom