ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The TTR 125 is moving along and I am wondering about gearing options. Its the big wheel version and is stock geared at 13 - 54 (Australia).

It has BBR pipe, 125 cc, flywheel lightened, Powroll cam, bigger carb engine wise and is used for MX.

Ive heard that a 14 t is an option but that would seem to gear it up a fair bit. I think it would pull the gearing but ....... What are they using over there in the mighty USA?

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Kali

Thanks for that. I dont actually ride the TTR. I'm a bit too big for it. Its riden by the boy and hes just 14. I will go for the 14 t as he said that 1st is pretty well useless. For him in MX the 14 t does make sense.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
we bought the 49 tooth rear for the small wheel version and put it on my wife's big wheel. it now feels like a normal motorcycle, and she is much happier on the straightaways. i wouldn't have thought it would pull 5t smaller out back, but it still handles the technical stuff muy bueno. i think yamaha purposely has them geared to go sloooooww.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
my wife was frustrated at running out of legs on straightaways, and i calculated that dropping the rear to the 49 would give her 5-8 more mph. when i ride the bike, it just feels like it's been set free- the seat of the pants judgement of speed feels more like a normal bike, yet it doesn't have any trouble pulling the low end. much nicer.

wp.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
to duplicate our gearing you would. i would also be interested in what a 14/49 would do. if it would pull that off the bottom, it would be cool, since that's like dropping another 3 off the back. probably be another 3-5 mph.

wp.

TGilliam

Mar 3, 2001
Just wondering if anyone had tried the 14/49 front and rear sprocket configuration. I would like a little more top end if it doesn't lose too much low and mid-range power. Thanks

Top Bottom