keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
Im considering this bike for my girlfriend, she has never ridden before and I want her to start on something small. At first I was thinking XR100 would be the best bet, cause they are super easy to ride and light and small. I also considered the XR200, but I think that would be a little too big and heavy. Now im thinking the XR 100 is too small, 9hp is not much to work with, and its really more of a kids bike. The TTR 125L is a much newer bike, and it looks a little taller, and much more nimble. Has anyone ridden the TTR 125? how does it do with an adult rider? Is it primarily a kids bike like the XR 100? It puts out more HP, and with some mods Ive heard it can come somewhat close to the power of an XR200. Are there any big bore kits for it? Thanks! Also suggestions of other starter bikes are welcome.

jds22

Nov 5, 2001
I'm in the exact same boat except it is for my wife. I have decided on the Yamaha, better bike for only a few more dollars. Tons of hop up parts as well.
Good luck, Jerry

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okie's wife Scooter, and OT's girlfriend Jenny learned to ride on my stock TTR in the grass field in front of OT's house. A year later Scooter and Jenny both have their own modified TTRs and were racing them at DW01. It's a great little bike, fun to ride , nearly unbreakable (we've tried), and an excellent starting point for smaller novice riders.

The best part is you'll have as much fun as anyone on the bike :) Of all the bikes I own it's still my favorite.

Can't wait to take mine out on the ice this winter.

Lots of trick hop up parts available from
www.powroll.com
www.bbrmotorsports.com

The same basic rules apply to the XR100, the TTR is just a bit larger and more up to date. Either bike should serve you well for years and hold it's resale value better than most bikes.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
TTR125L Awesome Beginners Bike

I learned to ride this past year on a TTR125L, and it was a really good teacher. Its a bike more bike than the XR100, and much more modern. Good tranny, brakes, suspension, motor, ergos, the whole bike was great. Needless to say, I wasn't on it long, now I'm a KDX220 rider, but it was good for a week to get in shape on bikes after leaving ****s! I give the TTR125L the nod over the XR100 any day.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
For a very beginner, sometimes a used bike is a better option. Most crashes will happen in the first few months she rides, so why not let it happen to an older beast? Anyway, when she outgrows it and really decides what kind of bike she wants, you can probably sell it for the same $$ you spent!

I think it was Dirt Rider that did a beginner bike test with the TTR and the XR about a year ago. The gals who had never ridden before liked the XR much better than the TTR. The young boys and more experienced women liked the TTR better.

Which is a better bike? the TTR-L, hands down! But the question is, which bike is best for her right now? The answer to that might be the XR. It's lower seat height, ligher weight and smoother power characteristics might win her over. Just be ready to sell in a few months once she gets the hang of things!

Top Bottom