psycho-killer

Feb 16, 2004
Hello everyone i recently sold my YZ125 03' 1 year ago...

I bought myself a WR 200 95' model but the power seems to be lost it doesnt have the same pull as the YZ and the Sound also sounds very diffrent any technical advise? And where will i be able to get PICS and Info on WR 200 thanks all

Cheers

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
I wasn't even sure that there was wr200's made in 1995. Yeah they sound real wierd and quiet, they are perhaps the quietest production bike ever made. The power is very linear and very 4-stroke like. The suspension is very trail oriented and does a very nice job of soaking up the bumps, but not good for jumps. A few unique things about the bike: it has an electronic powervalve like the newer cr250's, which might contribute to its 4-stroke like power.

All in all the power wont be like your 125 was, more like a tractor, not a dragster. Its perfect for trails and tight technical riding, and is good for recreational stuff as well. You're not going to feel as big of a hit on the powerband, and it probably won't feel as snappy, but its suited for a different purpose.

Happy Trails

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Yamaha didn't have any WR200's coming to USA in 95. They only imported the 92 models. They may have continued production and sales elsewhere tho. You can find some yamaha stuff at www.yamaha-motor.com , but a 95 WR200 won't be there.

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
I bought one of those. I think it was a '92. White and Turquoise, the only year they sold them here. Right after I bought mine they decided they will discontinue them and were sold at a lot lower price than I paid. I liked it about as much as a KDX but I think it was designed to be a street bike. I remember the carb was ridiculously hard to rejet, no access on the bowl. I doubt if you'll find many aftermarket parts for it. There was a bunch of them around for about a year or so but I don't think I've seen one for 10 yrs.

endurohero

Apr 16, 2003
wr200

they are very similar to the DT200 which they did still sell in 95 in Canada.FMF made pipes and silensers for the WR and I'm pretty sure boyesen had reeds for them as well and with some of these bits and some cylinder work they could be made to be significantly snappier.As for the suspension Yamaha offers stiffer springs front and rear and with some attention to valving could be improved.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
A lot of the 200's came to England. Nowadays you don't see very many about. I know England has junkyards that part out bikes and most ship world-wide.

GC212

Jan 11, 2005
wr2 95

i got my wr200 2 months ago it's given me quite alot of problems now it sounds like something's loose in the engine area sounds kinda weird

knighta

Mar 5, 2008
GC212 said:
i got my wr200 2 months ago it's given me quite alot of problems now it sounds like something's loose in the engine area sounds kinda weird

I also had a knock in my engine and when we pulled it down the barrel was stuffed, it still ran fine but just had a funny noise, so i resleaved it, so i didn't have to worry about sealing the bore and it will take bugger all to rebore and increase barrel size in the future.

TheMan

May 11, 2008
Hey guys, i hear you all complaining about your wr200's. ive owned mine for about 6 months now and i love it. before i bought it, it sat for about 4 years, so i had my fuel lines clog up twice but after that it was smooth sailing. I know exactly what you guys are talking about when you say it has no "pop" and is like a four stroke power. I bought a new fmf silencer, fmf reeds, and a metal mesh air filter, and after that, you can tell when the power band kicks in, it moves me back on the seat if im not ready. I can keep up with an 1985 yamaha tri z 250 thats bored 25 over. So all you people that hate on the wr 200, I LOVE MY BIKE. It is so awsome and fast. So for less than $200 bucks your bike can go from a slow "four stroke" power to a fast two stroke that sounds mean and has the balls to back it up.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Just curious, how old are you? Im thinking you seriously might be better off getting a different bike than modding the piss out of yours to get it to feel faster/hit harder. Why do all the work and put all the money in, when you could sell it, and put yourself on a faster harder hitting bike from the factory?

You ever ride a moto-cross 250 2-Stroke? I suggest you do. It doesnt move you back on the seat, it does wheel stands in 1st-5th gear with traction, and spins tires if its a little slick.

TheMan

May 11, 2008
what do you mean modding the piss out of it? let me ask you a question. how much money did you pay for your bike? and how much money have you put into it? i bought my bike for $600, put less then $200 in mods, and less then $150 in maintance parts. so yes i could go buy a moto-250, but right now i dont have that kind of money. and right now my bikes pushin 80mph. so for now thats good enough. eventually i would love to get a YZ250 2-stroke. but thats gonna take money i dont have. and to answer your question i am 20 years old. and yes i have riddin a cr250, ill tell you what the only thing that bike that was better than mine was the power. the wr had way better suspension, is taller (im 6'3''), better for jumping, lighter, i could corner better with the wr, and right now my bike is pretty fast, and good enough for a while. until i have the funds to upgrade to a YZ250, not a YZ250F.lol. i really dislike four-strokes. nothin beats that power band of a 2-stroke.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Alright, I mean, I see where your coming from and all, but now look at it this way:

I got a awesome deal on my bike, paid $1300 for it. But it did not take me long to find one at that price that is as clean as mine. Actually, just about every day or so there is a new one that is a comparable deal posted up. Check out Craigslist.com Believe me, its not like I was rolling in the cash. I actually just graduated college a few weeks ago, but until I get a real job ... Sucks balls dont it!

And I dont blame you, im not a fan of CR's either. Im 21, a good deal smaller than you though hahah. 5'7" 155lbs.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
a friend bring me an imported dtr200 (similar engine i think) to repair and to do some engine mods because that boring powerband-repaired and worked...
i will put it on the frame sooner and i will post the results, but from my experience with the 125´s its very easy to get some more hit and power with out spend lots of money...

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I like my '92 WR200. It didn't have much throttle response until I put in Boyesen dual stage reeds, 1 tooth smaller front sprocket and got the jetting right. Now it is perfect for me (old fat guy) and the type of riding I do (tight woods, rocky hill climbs). With the smaller front sprocket it runs out of speed at top end but I rarely get there. Chugs like a 4stroke at low RPM but still hits fairly hard at high RPM.

ice_spy

May 26, 2008
I just bought a wr200 1998 model. goes hard as, keeps up with my mates cr250.....most of the time.
Yes they are not so good to jump only becasue they are heavyer than a motorcross, but the suspension is otherwise very capable. They have a great rider position and are very comfotable to ride i think.
As far as power loss have any of you guys done a top end rebuild???? they are a 2stroke remember. My bike has only 10,000 gen klms, im the second owner. the previous guy sat it in his garage and never rode the it. My last wr200 95 model i had slowly died and was very noticible power loss only because i NEVER did a top end.

GSTRY

May 26, 2008
I'm busy rebuilding a 1995 WR 200. If you need some help let me know but a common problem is the Power Valve which breaks...literally, this effects the performance quite a bit.
Otherwise its a really nice all round bike in the dirt.

psycho-killer said:
Hello everyone i recently sold my YZ125 03' 1 year ago...

I bought myself a WR 200 95' model but the power seems to be lost it doesnt have the same pull as the YZ and the Sound also sounds very diffrent any technical advise? And where will i be able to get PICS and Info on WR 200 thanks all

Cheers

motojeff

Dec 25, 2006
1992 Wr200rd

I have owned my WR200 for a couple of years. I notice there are not too many around. I like the nostalgia of older things (I'm one of them). I ride with several KTM riders on woods trails. I really like the way the WR handles on wood trail situations. My bike has gotten me out of trouble several times when I needed a little bit more and the rpms were running low. The WR is a two-stroke with the low end torque of a four stroke. It has been rebuilt, aftermarket pipe, shocks, fork springs. Not much else. I have 1400.00 in it and have rode it for two years with no problems. Parts are eays to get online. I think the WR was probably a bored out YZ 125, not sure. In any case, I really like riding it and it makes a good conversation piece where ever I go. One note; the bike is white, pink, and baby blue (I'm secure with my masculinity :) ) so it makes it fun to go out and out ride some of those expensive KTM's on the trail. It's all good. :cool:

zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
I have some new Boyesen reeds for that bike if one of you guys are interested. I remember looking at them new but got a kdx200. They were neck and neck with the kdx back in the day.

jakeonsticks

Jan 28, 2009
about the wr200

so the wr200 was ONLY built in 92 and sold in europe and some were imported to the u.s. if you have a wr200 2stroke that is newer that a 92 then it was imported to the dealers years later and they sold it as that years model.
the wr200 and dt200 are the same bike the dt is just steet legal. the wr sounds funny because it has a 2stroke street engine which helps it in the woods.
the muffled akward noise it make is normal. my wr lugs down almost as well as a 4stroke and has never fouled a plug. i ride aggresive single track with a bunch of guys that all ride ktms, my wr keeps up with them. yes it doesnt have quite the kick that a 2 stroke of that size should have, but it is extremly smooth and has the overall torque for woods riding.
if you want to make your wr fast put a full fmf exaust on it and freshen up the top end. if you want it to be screaming fast, bore it .20 over... my bike will pick up the front tire in any gear, at almost any rpm.
i have been happy with my for the most part, they can have problems if they hadnt been taken care of but what bike doesnt. i bought my first wr200 for 600 in 2005, i put some money in it fixing some neglect, but its a solid bike i have 2 of em now.

v8r

Jan 21, 2009
WR200's were produced into the 2000's, just not imported into all markets (ie: the usa).. great bikes, i own an older one myself, love it to bits, top fun to ride :)

Left Turn

Feb 26, 2022
Has anyone heard of a down pipe that was made for the WR or even the DT? Actually I have a Blaster motor in a Rickman (Zundap 125 originally) and I wish to set it up as a flattracker for an 8 year old to ride in the vintage, under 250 class. Thank you in advance for any leads or info that you can share.

Left Turn

Feb 26, 2022
Has anyone heard of a down pipe that was made for the WR or even the DT? Actually I have a Blaster motor in a Rickman (Zundap 125 originally) and I wish to set it up as a flattracker for an 8 year old to ride in the vintage, under 250 class. Thank you in advance for any leads or info that you can share.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom