jck3120

Sep 7, 2004
Hi, I am 5'8" and 150-155 lbs. and have been riding for probably 5 years, so I would say I am maybe an advanced beginner/intermediate rider. I ride mostly UP Michigan trails where there are some wide open areas but also some technical trails. I love riding in the sand and hills too. Soon, I am looking to purchase a new bike, and I have narrowed it down to either the WR or EXC. I am coming off an XR250 and I would like something with more power and less weight. I prefer 4-strokes, which would make me lean towards either the WR250F or WR400F (I have to buy used), but I question if the 400 will be any lighter or the 250 will be more power than what I already have. I also hear that the EXC 250 or 300 is one of the best trail bikes made, but I dont really know much about two-strokes. How is the powerband on these? Which of these bikes would be best for the type of riding that I do? Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

claytang67

Nov 24, 2004
dnt get a 400

my dads got a KTM EXC 400 and he loves it. but personaly i think a 400 is way too big for you in my opinion. having a smaller bike is nice cuz its lighter and easyer to ride n manoover n stuff. cuz im 5 8 and when i stand next to my dads bike its like damn dude i couldnt even picture my self riding that. especly when u fall on a super steap hill. u gota pick that sucker up n turn it around. thats just my opinion tho.
go with like a 250 but get a bike thats more performance instead of an xr. like im 5 8 and if i could have ne bike off the top of my head i think it would be a KTM SX125 2 stroke cuz KTMs r such nice bikes

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I couldn't feel that much difference in the WR400 and an XR250. I have never been on a 2 stroke, but I think the EXC 2 stokes have a smoother power then what you think about in a KX, CR, or YZ, so an EXC250 2 stroke might be fun to try and they are lighter for in the sand!
I would actually like to try one, last time I rode tight trials I couldn't keep up with a couple young kids on EXC200's and 250's. But in the sand and dunes I prefer my 520 :cool: but I got about 40lbs more I'm packing.
Even if you decided you didn't like the EXC 2 stroke, I'm sure you could sell it easily and try something else. If you go WR I would wait until you have enough money for a WR 426 or 450. the 400 just seemed wimpy.

jck3120

Sep 7, 2004
I'm thinkin orange is the way to go...

Thanks for the input. From what I've heard and read I'm thinkin that the KTM is my best choice, but my dad is hesitant to let me get a 2-stroke because he knows about the powerband of them and that the top-end has to be rebuilt fairly often, so he says that it would be a mistake to buy one. I am purchasing the bike so it's not like he is goin to keep my from getting what I want, but I think he would be more willing to help me if he was in favor of it. Do you think the EXC 250 or 300 would be better for me? Is there any years that I should stay away from? I am looking from 97-01. Thanks.

B

biglou

I had an 01 MXC250 and loved it. They don't make the MXC in 250 size anymore though. The bike had great bottom end pull, and would wind out nicely. Had a nice hit to it, but not a violent one like a full-on MX'er. I'm a big guy, but had only been riding for about one year when I bought this bike and I loved it. Light, powerfull, etc. Just respect the power in the upper RPM range and you should be fine. :cool:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
If your dad is into riding put a lot of merrit into what he thinks! I just don't think you will be happy with the 400 4 stokes, unless it's the EXC 400, a little less weight then the Yamaha 400 plus the electric start. They do require more TLC.
Maybe go to your local KTM Dealer and ask them, they can give you a pretty good idea on what bike might fit you best.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I would go with the 4 stroke Yamaha, WR 250 is a nice one. Don Marsh flys on his, seems to be one heck of a bike, thumpertalk.com can help to on this. Ktm is great bike too. Money may dictate your choices on a used bike, cycletrader.com is good place to look. Big difference bwtn a wr and xr.

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
the ktms are nice and with a little bit of work that wr 2003 and older can really be made to go like stink. i would still prefer orange though.

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
Katuuuum!!!!!

I`ve had my `03 300 EXC for a year now and it`s the best bike i`ve ever had, including 4 strokers. 5 of my buds bought new `04 WR450`s and the KTM out performs all of them. Having to do the top end often is not true, only the SX models are shorter service intervals for motocross because they have 1 ring but the EXC`s have 2, one of the problems with overhauls is that the 4 strokers have more parts and that means eventually higher costs for spares (eg. titanium valves). The 250 EXC is a good buy but for the older models around `00, `01, the 300 EXC is better. One tip i can offer, if you go for the 300 (i would), is to take out the shims in one of the front forks and increase your free sag dramatically for comfort and tractability at the back, i bought my bike from the infamous Darryl Curtiss `04 Roof of Africa winner (14th myself) and S.A.champ and these changes are what makes the diffs on race day. Go large! Go orange!!!!!

murphy

Dec 13, 2004
I've had my wr426 for two years now and think im riding ok but with this being my first dirt bike ever its been hard going. Im 5.9 and struggle with the hight so the ktm looks promising. I also like riding in the low rpm's which the 426 doesn't seem to mind but i would guess the 300exc wont mind iether, as for being wary of the top end performence both bikes are scary fast and need to be treated with respect (i found this out the hard way) and here the yams nissans will out perform the ktm brembo's everytime. Another consideration that you mentioned is the cost of maintinance and the stroker does sound a bit harsh however my brother rebuilt his 250exc for less than £500, i wake up in the midle of the night in panic at the thought of my 426 grenading its self and the concequent trip to the bankmanager never mind the wife. After riding all day which involves a fair amount of falling off and digging my bike out of bogs, drainige dichies (i ride in Scotland) and all sorts of goop i would consider traiding in my granny for a bike that ways close to 50 pounds lighter and thats what im going to do.
FOUR STROKE REVOLUTION ?? SORRY IM NOT CONVINCED

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The WR250 can be made to work, but it will not be near as proficient or fun in the woods as the lighter EXC 2 strokes. As far as the bigger WR's...I'd stear clear of those barges, particularly the 03 WR450 w/ the woodruff key that shears if you look at the bike wrong (I think the bike has a complex as it is fat...real fat, resulting in a nasty disposition in tight woods)...those dogs just won't hunt in woods. It was the only bike I've ever owned that I hated, I mean hated riding...owned it all of 3 weeks.

jck3120

Sep 7, 2004
Hmm...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I will definitely stick to a 2-stroke now. But since its winter here in Michigan, bikes for sale are hard to come by and when I'm looking for a particular model its even harder. Not to throw a wrench in the works, but I have found a 99 Gas Gas EC300 near me for $2200 OBO. I dont know anything about them, so if anyone could compare them with say a KTM EXC300 or something, that would be helpful. Or should I wait for a KTM to come up?
Also, is that a decent price for one considering they are rare and suposedly have a very high build quality? Are parts hard to find for these bikes? Thanks.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
over on KTMTalk there is a dealer that has leftover 02 and o3's...one of those is a 300EXC if I remember correctly. It is in the for sale forum or dealer forum. I'll check it out and get back w/ you.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
02 300MXC under $3300 NEW, 03 250EXC $4500 NEW...its in the for sale forum. Sounds like he has quite a few sweet deals :cool:

Last edited:

murphy

Dec 13, 2004
The ec 300 gassers are great bikes to ride much more rider freindly than the ktm but the build quality aint high its low !!! but i would swap my wr426 for one anytime cr Swade is right its a lard ass.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
jck3120 said:
my dad is hesitant to let me get a 2-stroke because he knows about the powerband of them and that the top-end has to be rebuilt fairly often

your dad sounds like he's familiar with japanese mx 2-strokes, not austrian off-road 2-strokes. believe me, you will do less maintenance on a ktm 200-300 exc than almost any other motorcycle ever made, and it's easy and cheap maintenance. i learned on a klx300, than after 18 mos or so got a 300exc. i did my first top end after around 6100 miles of hard off-road riding. that's a lot.

at your size and your altitude, a 300 is probably overkill, but if you spend alot of time above 5000' it starts to make sense. a 200 or 250 would be an excellent choice imho. lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain, faster, and more reliable than modern 4-strokes.

4-strokes seem sensible to me if you live in california, or if you race in the desert.

mw

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
If you want depenability go with the WR. I have raced a WR250F since 2001 at alot of enduros & hare scrambles. Just doing normal maintence & adjusting the valves. The bike hasn't let me down yet.
The down side is all the greif you get from your KTM riding buddies while their waiting on parts.

It really doesn't mater what bike you ride just so you ride!
Don

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Wow, around here the ONLY guys who don't have to wait on parts are the KTM riders, but we have some pretty good KTM dealers locally & w/in 1 hour of KC.

Top Bottom