Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
Hi guys, this is my first post, I would like to say hi to everybody, My name is Michael.

I recently bought a wr250f, always wanted a nice 4-stroke, but never could justify the price. I got my hands on a pretty nice one, and for the money (less than 2k), i went for it. Bought myself some nice gear. The bike runs great, idles great, but....I just can't start that bike. I literaly have to push-start it everytime, and when it stauls, I am f**ked.

I would like to know:

-is there ANY way I could get an easy start, electric start upgrades...?
-if I get a hotcams exhaust cam (with auto-decomp) , will it have any effecst?
-Or, is there any way to specificly start that bike, I read the starting drill online

Please help me, I love the bike, but am affraid of taking it on a ride

thanks

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Get the 03 WR exhaust cam, jet the bike, and bump the idle up just a bit. There are numerous threads on this subject with great tips and info. Do the grey wire mod. Get a few new plugs, get the jetting dialed in and you'll have little problem with starting.
BTW, check those valves asap!

Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
Right. So lets say I buy that exhaust cam with the autodecompressor, I guess the starting of my bike will be much easier. (or, will it?)

also, is there any ways of making an electric ignition for the bike?

oh and, is it normal than when the bike is leaned over, there's fuel comming out of a rubber hose on the bottom

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mr.Planters said:
Right. So lets say I buy that exhaust cam with the autodecompressor, I guess the starting of my bike will be much easier. (or, will it?)

Starting will be similar to starting a two-stroke 250cc bike. Very easy.

also, is there any ways of making an electric ignition for the bike?

CDI ignition is standard.

oh and, is it normal than when the bike is leaned over, there's fuel comming out of a rubber hose on the bottom

If you lean it over far enough fuel will cover the carb vents and run out the vent hoses.

Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Starting will be similar to starting a two-stroke 250cc bike. Very easy.

CDI ignition is standard.

If you lean it over far enough fuel will cover the carb vents and run out the vent hoses.

thanks, as for the CDI ignition, what do you mean?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
right, I did some research, what about the vortex x-10 CDI.

at 500$, it aint cheap, but if its able to start my bike with the push of a button(does it?), i guess it's worth it.

any les expensive ignition starters?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mr.Planters said:
right, I did some research, what about the vortex x-10 CDI.

at 500$, it aint cheap, but if its able to start my bike with the push of a button(does it?), i guess it's worth it.

That box is designed to change the ignition timing advance curve, nothing more. It has nothing to do with starting.

Mr.Planters said:
any les expensive ignition starters?

If you need a bike with an electric starter you should sell the Yamaha and buy a newer model.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mr.Planters said:
so for the easy start, a auto-decompression exhaust cam would be the perfect upgrade

An engine with an auto-decompressor cam, proper jetting , that is in good working order will be easy to start.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
An engine with an auto-decompressor cam, proper jetting , that is in good working order will be easy to start.

Can't argue with that. :cool:

You may also want to have your carb cleaned out. Sediment, water and crap can collect in the carb and cause the bike not to start. Make sure all of the orifices are clean in the carb and also the accelerator pump diaphragm is clean and in good condition.

The grey wire mod is on USA models. Under the gas tank there is a connector with a black wire and a grey wire. If your bike has this connection, cut the grey wire and it will give you a noticeable power gain.

Your bike also has a throttle stop that prevents the carb from getting full throttle. Grind the end of the stop until the slide opens all of the way.

Also, like BSWIFT said, check your valves. Tight valves can cause your bike to be hard to start.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You do know that a four stroke should be on the compression stroke when you give it the "kick", right?

A two stroke you just engage the kick starter and kick it. A four stroke you bring it around to the compression stroke, get the kick start lever back to the top and then kick it.

If the problem is that you can't get a strong enough kick then a decompression option will help out. Or it will at least help get the engine turning over, starting still requires the proper fuel/air and spark.

The grey wire mod is to defeat the EPA required emission control. I am not sure that a 2001 model has the grey wire.

You also seem to be confusing the ignition system with the "starter". It is possible that you have an ignition problem that is making your bike hard to start. The stock ignition, when working properly, would provide just as easy of a start as any performance upgrade.

The "magic button" that allows you to start the bike without kicking anything requires a starter motor. If the bike didn't come equipped with one there is no practical way of adding one.

Like Ol'89r said, what you probably need to do is tune up the bike. If the compression is good, the valves adjusted properly, the ignition system working properly and the carburetor doing its job the bike should be reasonably easy to start.

Rod

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A leak-down test is a good idea on a used 4t. Alot of problems in older 250f's are carb or valvetrain related. Good luck!

Top Bottom