MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Looking at getting a used YZ125, 1998-1999 range. What are the problem spots with these bikes? The biggest thing I have heard is the clutch. How bad is it?

(P.S. I know what to look for in a used bike, I just need things specific to this one). Thanks!!!

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I have a 97 and my friend has a 98 and abused that bike hardcore. THe clutch has just recently began to slip. All he needs is plates n springs and it would be fine.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Hi there.. I have a 99 YZ125, bought used. Here are the major things I had to repair:

1. Suspension linkage/swingarm bearings - Were totally gone. Previous owner never lubed them. They go fast if not taken care of. If they have never been lubed you will have to replace them.
2. Cylinder replate - if the rings have not been changed when they should, the plating above the exhaust port can wear.
3. Fork bushings and seals. If the fork seal is leaking, it may need bushings.
4. Carb slide - the chrome peels off on some of the model years in that range. causes throttle to stick.
5. Clutch - replaced baskets due to excessive wear and clutch sticking in corners.

Make sure the guy you buy it from actually took the time to take care of it, probably best thing to do.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The '99 also has a plastic piece at the crank than can wear and actually melt down, gaulding at the crank/rod.
Cranks stuffers fixes this problem.

I really like the '99's power distribution. Seems more lower ended than any 125 I've ridden, yet still has the Yz wind out.

Top Bottom