2001Rm125

Jul 7, 2009
Im looking at a 04 YZ250F and I was wondering everyones opinions on these. I saw an 07 at a local dealership and loved it but it was out of my price range. Did they make any significant updates from 04-09? Plus and minuses on the 250f. How are they compared to CRF,KXF,RMZ..Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2001Rm125 said:
Im looking at a 04 YZ250F Plus and minuses on the 250f. How are they compared to CRF,KXF,RMZ..Thanks

IMO, the YZF is the most durable of the 250F's, especially in that year. One thing to watch for though, is the history of the bike. Was it ridden hard? Was it properly maintained? Is the dealer going to offer a warranty on it?

If the bike was abused and not maintained, it could cost you a lot of money to repair it when it finally spits it's cookies. In some cases, more than the original cost of the bike.

Find out the history of the bike. Who rode it. How they rode it. How they maintained it. What parts were replaced during regular maintainance. How old are the valves? How old is the crankshaft?

If you are buying it from a private party, check it out yourself. Smell the oil. Does it smell fresh or does it smell like a dinosaur died in there? Can you smell burnt clutch in the oil?

Check the chain and sprockets. Are they excessivly worn? Tap the spokes with a wrench. If they are properly tensioned, they will produce a ringing sound. If they go THUD, they haven't been properly maintained. Check the guys records. If he claims to have rebuilt it, does he have records and receipts?

Buying a 6 year old 250F is a crap shoot. Do you homework now before you buy it.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Thats some good tips from 89er. Keep in mind that any 250F will be much more expensive to maintain than your 125. You can rebuild the top end of your 125 for nothing compared to a 250F. If you dont maintain a 250F and they blow up, you are going to spend ALOT repairing it...most shops around here charge $80-$100 an hour for labor.

moto_chick06

Jul 31, 2007
honestly last year I switched from an 05 yz125 to an 09 yz250f. I sold my 125 for $3200 and bought my new bike for $5500. I haven't had to do anything to it but regular maintenance to keep it running properly and to reduce problems later. I think this bike is awesome, and since Ive been racing it I have done much better then on my 2 stroke. I would definetly reccomend this bike!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
moto_chick06 said:
honestly last year I switched from an 05 yz125 to an 09 yz250f. I sold my 125 for $3200 and bought my new bike for $5500. I haven't had to do anything to it but regular maintenance to keep it running properly and to reduce problems later. I think this bike is awesome, and since Ive been racing it I have done much better then on my 2 stroke. I would definetly reccomend this bike!
A major difference here is you bought a NEW bike not a used with questionable maintenance history. I have owned6 brand new yz250Fs or YZ450F and had no problems with any of them despite my son racing them hard. all the ones I have sold are still running strong but I did routine maintenance religiously and had them checked (and needed repairs done) by Eric Gorr at regular intervals. I bought one used (supposedly had 4 hours on it) 07 YZ250F that dropped a valve into the cylinder and basically destroyed the motor.

Your odds with a 4 stroke race bike are better going with a new but if it is out of your finances find one that has records of work and make sure major work was done by a reputable mechanic not just a guy that slept in a Holiday inn once.

Top Bottom