Yamalube 2-M.. accidently ran through a whole bottle of this

tom9286

Feb 25, 2007
Long story short, I just got a 2003 yz250 and decided to use yamalube in it instead of the normal mix i was running in my previous bikes.

Unknowningly I picked up a bottle of Yamalube 2-m (for outboards). Off the large shelve of bottles I just saw the yamalube premix at the motorcycle shop and picked it up. I guess they didn't stock the 2-r!

I just finished the bottle and went to buy a new one and noticed that!

Basically, Its been running ok, I had to lean it out ended up 1/2 a notch leaner on the needle than stock but ive been riding in 95 degree temps all summer so I never thought twice. With that setup I spooge a little and never foul the plug.

Anyways, Im just partially worried now that i may have done something to my bike and was looking for some reassurance or peice of mind hah. Any comments on running Outboard oil through a bike?

The bike seemed to run fun, smooth, but not as much power as the original tank of gas I had in it when I bought it. (I figured that was due to me getting used to the bike) maybe so maybe not.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Your bike should be fine.

The most noticable difference in oils would be the smell, the amount of spooge and the tendency to foul plugs.

Jetting changes are more a ratio issue than oil brand issue so I wouldn't expect there to be any significant difference.

There are those that would argue that one oil is better than another in terms of wear on the engine parts but then every manufacturer of oil is going to claim theirs to be superior to all others.

I would say that outboard tend to run cooler because they have an infinate amount of cooling water available. I really don't know if the dirt bike oil is formulated any different to take this into account or not.

If you bike is still running fine I would say that there was no damage done.

Rod

tom9286

Feb 25, 2007
thanks for the vote of confidence :)

makes me feel a little better. I figured as long as I have 2 stroke oil in it it wouldn't damage but maybe not run the best.

Time to switch it back to the stock 50-77 degree needle position since its aorund 80 here now and use some of this new fandangled expensive oil and see how it runs.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Im sure no damage has been done. Remember, outboards do not have transmissions, so they spend most of their life between 5000 and 5500 rpm for hours at a time. Also two stroke outboards have oil injection systems that automaticly mix the ratio depending on the rpm. 100:1 at idle to 50:1 running wide open. With that said, outboards work just as hard but with less oil.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Don't worry about it.......I know some people who run outboard oil all the time with know ill effects. In fact Pennzoil outboard is on the list of recommended quality oils to use in there trials bikes. Rotax ultralight aircraft engines also rec Pennzoil......not sure what could be more important than an aircraft engine staying running....... :-0

Top Bottom