Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I am not the brightest individual in the world but changing my oil on my bike is something I can do in my sleep. I know what tools to get out, what parts to expect to see once apart and areas to look for damage....

That being said I was totally stumped Friday night when I had an extra o-ring laying under the bike when I had finished. It was about the diameter of a quarter. I knew there was not anything like it in the oil filter because I know the 3 that are there are tiny (except the one that goes on the filter cover and it is huge) Not wanting to dump my oil and go through it just yet I get out my manual to see if it belonged on the drain plug, though I know there is a copper washer I thought there may be a channle for the ring or something... Nope nada. I go through the oil filter in the manual... Nothing... BUT I do see an o-ring in one of the engine diagrams that looks to be the right size, but it was way inside the engine! Knowing Rich would not have made such a mistake when he built my motor I dismissed that possibility and the o-ring was relatively dry, not oil soaked so I doubted it came from with-in.

Satisfied that there was nothing major missing and no leaks when started I figure some how the o-ring came from something else.... Though I knew it did not deep down. I saved the ring just in case...

Sunday I go riding and all is well. Checked my oil frequently and all was good. The only thing that was odd was that the dipstick was over tight. I almost could not get it off but that could just have been arm pump. The bike performed like a champ, no glitches at all.

Get home and washing the bike, I notice some oil/dirt build up around the base of the dip stick tube. It hit me like a ton of bricks. There is an o-ring... or there is supposed to be, on the dip stick. DUH! I felt like an idiot, but I had never really noticed it before because it usually stays on the stick.

I felt relieved that I found the home for the extra o-ring and thought I would share it with you just in case someone else is as much as an idiot as I am.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Your too hard on yourself, we know your not an idiot, maybe you fall under the o-ring challenged category though :p LOL! That's actually good too know, I'll keep an eye on mine since I take the dipstick on and off quite frequently.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
something really scary-

- is watching Mr. Frank change an oil filter on the 400 he's riding. O-ring? We don't need no stinkin' o-ring! (Sorry- couldn't pass up this on B-:D )

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
..by the numbers...

Sooooo, does this mean that you're going to finally venture out and race some old school MX with us? Tilley put a big hurting on Tony A. last weekend in the second moto. It was pretty sweet, a really good race.

Mike Y. going to have his old factory mechanic rebuild my 250f. Should be a Brandes replica. I also hear the mod engine is competitive in the regular 250 class! Sure would be nice! But in the meantime, I just rebuilt my botom end on my 250, and if the dealer gets crank seals in this week, I'll be out there this Sat.

So what # are you runing these days? This way I can keep an eye out when you come up on me trying to take me wide:eek:

ps- you never got back to me on the knee brace question- anything needed to further restrict the knee from bending forward? I ripped the ligament thingyamajingy that prevents my knee from doing it.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Thump, your humility is amazing...
Reminds me of pulling up to go out for practice and there is another 426 next to me.
He kind of racefaced me so I looked at his bike a bit and something didn't seem right.
His dipstick was bobbing up and down like a pressure relief valve, he forgot to screw it in!
Hey dude, I said, check your oil lately?
Huh? he said sorta growling at me.
I pointed at his dipstick and he looked down between his legs and looked back at me turning pale in the process.
Thanks man. He said.
That would of been kinda interesting to let him go.
How far do you think you could go around a mx track with no dipstick?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Thankfully the dipstick will hold oil in theframe w/o the o-ring.. it just leaks a little.

You guys laugh all you want at me but next time you change/check your oil I bet you'll check the o-ring which is waht I hoped I would accomplish...

Okay, now back to the stupid Thump comments.:confused:

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Good heads up. I could have been doing the same thing, as I happen to not be the brightest individual in the world either.:) Thanks.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Hmm when I bought my first bike 5 years ago I was riding around my house when all the sudden the bike started revving high and that it was it! It quit!! So checked over everything!!!! Absolutely everything I knew too at the time, so I take it to a friend and he laughs and asks me if I turned the fuel on , but I had been riding for 20 mins and I just filled up so I knew that was not the problem, So we took it to the shop where I bought it from ,and the mechanic felt bad because he told me how good of a bike it was, so after changing plugs, kicking it 5000 times!!!! He decides he will check the compression and it was fine! So he said he would replace the head gasket so he loosened off all the head bolts and decided he had no room to work so he took off the gas tank and he said it felt a litlle light!!! I was across the street getting a quick bite to eat and I came back and everyone in the whole shop was beet red laughing like crazy,
I guess I ran out of gas:scream: but when I shook the bike I heard fluid moving and I just had filled up so I was sure of myself!!
So the mechainic red faced said don't worry no charge!!! they still bug me when I go there! I brought my bike there to get the bottom end done to find a
turn the gas on dummy sticker on the tank! lol

now who feels dumb:silly:

Top Bottom