elf

Jun 7, 2003
Lets see. Riding a berm is a little different tha a flat corner. You dont really steer your bike with the bars as much. You turn by leaning the bike. When you are coming into the berm you should sit more in the middle of your bike. You dont need to have all your weight on the front end. When you enter the turn you lean your bike over and open the throttle. Also you may need to enter the turn with a little more speed. If you go too slow the bike will want to tip. Watch some good riders in berms to get an idea of how they lean the bike.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Stay low on the berm, countersteer into it, stay forward and use the berm as an acceleration opportunity, get the bike way leaned over, get on the throttle early, be aggressive and trust the berm, look where you want to go not down, keep pressure on the outside knee into tank and on the outside foot onto the peg, brake later than usual coming in.

Not necessarily in the order stated above! :) Stream of consciousness ya know...

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I would like to re-iterate one thing mentioned above - LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! If you look down at your front wheel, you will over compensate and look like a fish out of water. This doesn't come natural at first, but I found that forcing myself to do this helped more than any other single technique. Under acceleration, a motorcycle has the tendency to correct itself rather easily.

Practice at a slow pace and add new techniques on top of each other. Also, brake all the way into the turn and get on the gas as soon as you are off the brake (don't coast at all).

One common mistake that I see a lot is beginners actually putting their inside foot on the ground. Use your inside leg as a counterbalance to your body's weight on the high side of the bike. This allows your body to stay more vertical than your bike. In order to do this right you will have to practice keeping your outside elbow high.

Practice practice practice

zharra

Jan 12, 2004
thanx

ya no how ya said keep low on the burm ,i see alot of people on the top??? i think i gotta get my speed up into it a bit more, my front digs in and of i go ,eatn dirt,i find it easier on a flat turn than a burm, gotta keep practicing :flame:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
zharra said:
ya no how ya said keep low on the burm ,i see alot of people on the top??? i think i gotta get my speed up into it a bit more, my front digs in and of i go ,eatn dirt,i find it easier on a flat turn than a burm, gotta keep practicing :flame:
Yeah, there is a LOT more speed required to maintain attitude around the upper part pf a berm, (I assume we're talking about a good sized bowl turn) once you get the hang of it, it can be a great line, and you can make clean passes, but you have to accelerate around the top instead of bouncing off of it. Try going in and feathering the clutch to maintain momentum before you try to accelerate, soon you are able to carry more and more speed. And practicing is fun after all, right? :thumb:

Top Bottom