KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
In case you missed it, Saturday at the Daytona 200 Superbike race in the closing laps of the race Aaron Yates was trying to catch Mladin when he passed a lap rider a little too closely and the bikes locked together and they went down together. Yates jumps up and starts freaking out and runs over to the other rider and does a flying drop kick on the guy’s chest (while in full gear, wow). He then walks away and turns and runs back to attack the guy again and headbutts the guy, but they both had helmets on, so the effect was minimal. Normally he's a pretty mellow guy, but I guess he is pretty serious about this season.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yeah, I watched the scuffle through my binocolurs (SP?) from the grand stand. Apparently, Fania Jr. 's dad is going to press charges and sue Yates. I went to a bike race and a WWF match broke out! :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Think of the potential consequences if Fania had a spine injury from the crash as Yates drop kicks him. I hope he get's what's coming to him and more.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yates acted like a 2nd grader on the playground stomping his feet and all. If he was really good, he would have passed the guy without incident.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
The shot that I saw on Speed looked like Goon riding on Yates part to me. I don't know why he would try to pass Fania on the outside of that corner? But then again, Speed didn't show what lead up to that corner, there could have been more lappers there then Fania that I saw.

Timr, what did you see? Was there more than those 2 in that coner, is that why Yates went to the the outside? He normanly doesn't make idiotic moves like that. I can't believe he thought it was Fanias fault :flame:

They better be glad they don't have to deal with Steve Whitelock :moon:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Says he is sorry

caught this at cyclenews online

He's Sorry 3/8/2004

The following is from Aaron Yates...

Racing has extreme highs and extreme lows. It almost seems like there's no in-between when you race at the level that I do. For me, after racing 170 grueling miles, I realized that I had a chance to win the race.

With about eight laps to go, I came up on some lapped riders. I set up to pass, using the same racing line that I'd been using on this part of the track all day - in both the 200 and in the 600 SuperSport race.

I came through on the brakes on the outside and in my peripheral vision I saw a rider stand his bike up. So I got on the brakes harder and stood my bike up a bit to give him some room. But I was running out of racetrack.

We went down and were sliding toward the wall and I was honestly thinking that I was going to break both of my legs. Thankfully, the impact was softer than I'd anticipated. I got up thinking that I'd raced 49 laps with eight left to go and a second-place finish in the Daytona 200 was down the drain.

I couldn't believe that this was actually happening. But I never had any intention of hurting anyone. The last thing that I want is for people to get hurt at the track. This is not the way that I wanted to look back on Daytona '04. And this is definitely not what I want the race fans to think of when they think of me.

I'm just so sorry that the whole incident ever happened. And I'm sorry if my actions offended or disappointed anyone.

Aaron Yates

Sucking up to the AMA may work. Not good enough in my opinion. :|

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Wraith said:
Timr, what did you see? Was there more than those 2 in that coner, is that why Yates went to the the outside? He normanly doesn't make idiotic moves like that. I can't believe he thought it was Fanias fault :flame:

:moon:

Yates and Fania were the only two in the corner at the time, as best as I can remember. Yates said he took his usual line, but he should've gone up the inside of a lapper who was being shown the lap traffic flag.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
He sounds sorry alright... sorry that he crashed BEFORE finishing the race. :|

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I just read on the Cycle News website that Suzuki is fining Yates $25,000. I haven't heard any more about what the AMA plans to do though.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That's what the average TV viewer wants to see.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That's what the average TV viewer wants to see.
I don't think sponsors want to see that.

Suzuki should just bench his butt for the season if not permenantly. Uncalled for, un-sportsman like, disgraceful, and all on LIVE TV. Motorcycle racing does not need to have this loonicy. The sport already suffers from a lack of mainstream support and this escapade does nothing to help. If the other rider had been injured in the crash and then Yates doing is WWF move on him could have paralysed or even KILLED the other rider for what? A win? Is anyone's life worth a win in any racing event?

Last edited:

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Yeah that sucks!
.Reminds me of Tony Stewart from NASCAR. CRy babies really. I hear alot about "intensity" but come on. An accident is an accident. If you aint ready to have a bad day racing, you shouldnt race! I know alot about that end of things!

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Timr said:
Yates and Fania were the only two in the corner at the time, as best as I can remember. Yates said he took his usual line, but he should've gone up the inside of a lapper who was being shown the lap traffic flag.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But didn't really know the WHOLE story because all Speed showed was Yates bulldogging into Fania, not anything leading up to the accident.

caught this at cyclenews online

He's Sorry 3/8/2004

The following is from Aaron Yates...
I couldn't believe that this was actually happening. But I never had any intention of hurting anyone.

:thumb: That is until I decided to lay smackdown on his arse!

That's what the idiot should have went ahead and wrote. What a little B. :moon:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Not what I want to see, I watched the race and could not believe Yates did that. Very childish. Sounds like Faria's dad is going after him too. He will regret this for along time

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I "Tivo'd" the event, but it seems Speed didn't air the exciting part. Did anyone else have the same problem? Maybe I caught a 2nd airing. It seemed like it went from 9 laps to go to 6 to go over the commercial break.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Yeah, we caught the 2nd airing HomemadeSin, because I didn't see too much of the accident either.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The following release is from AMA Pro Racing...

Yoshimura Suzuki rider Aaron Yates has been suspended for one race meet and fined $5000 by AMA Pro Racing for his actions following an on-track incident with KWS Racing’s Anthony Fania during the Daytona 200 by Arai on Saturday, March 6.

In announcing the penalty, AMA Pro Racing Road Race Manager, Ron Barrick stated that Yates’ behavior after the two collided was completely unacceptable.

“After carefully reviewing the tapes and interviewing the corner workers and both Mr. Yates and Mr. Fania, we have concluded that the contact that resulted in both riders crashing was an unfortunate racing incident with neither rider specifically at fault,” said Barrick. “However, Yates’ actions after the crash are the reason we are issuing the fine and suspension.”

TV video tape, interviews with the riders and interviews with corner workers confirmed that Yates kicked and head-butted Fania immediately after the crash. While it was impossible to discern what each rider said during the exchange, it was apparent that Fania was attempting to walk away from the altercation.

Barrick confirmed that Yates’ AMA license is suspended for a period of one AMA Superbike race meet; specifically the California Speedway event scheduled for April 2-4, 2004 in Fontana, California. Yates will not be permitted to compete in any of the races that make up that race meet. Barrick also stated that the $5000 fine could be reduced by 50% if Yates enters an anger management treatment program, approved by AMA Pro Racing, prior to returning to competition.

“Physically assaulting a fellow competitor cannot be tolerated under any circumstance,” said Barrick. “This penalty should indicate how seriously we are taking this matter.”

Barrick also noted that AMA Pro Racing continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the actions of each rider’s crew members following the incident.

The following is from Don Sakakura, team manager for Yoshimura Suzuki...

This Years Daytona 200 was a mixture of highs and lows for the Yoshimura Suzuki Team.

Mat Mladin rode a masterful race to take his third win at this classic event. Mat managed the race to perfection, going fast when he needed to, and conserving when it was prudent.

Yoshimura Suzuki rider Aaron Yates was running a strong second place when late in the race; he came upon a slower rider. Regardless of how one views who was at fault in the ensuing collision, what happened afterwards was clearly unacceptable.

At Yoshimura we have a 50-year history of racing. We race hard, but at the end of the day, we always believe in watching out for each other and keeping racing in perspective. As a result of this philosophy, we cannot, and do not condone Aaron Yates actions in any way, shape, or form.

Discussions and meetings will occur in the very near future at American Suzuki, Yoshimura, and the AMA, to determine the full extent of what actions will be appropriate in this case. Needles to say, we at Yoshimura are very disappointed in Mr. Yates behavior.

I personally think the AMA penalty is a joke. 5K and one race? I guess the arguement will be that he will lose much more in contingency, season end bonus etc. At least Suzuki went after his wallet and it sounds like Yoshimura may as well.

Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
When I seen this unfold on my TV it seemed surreal to me that Aaron would do something like this. He is an intense racer and personality. While I can't say I agree with his actions it just seems totally out of character for him to do what he did.

When my children were very young, I vehemently denied them of playing one day, with me, because I had a bad day. I regret what I said to them that one day, that one instance, nearly everyday. That was almost 20 years ago. I bet Aaron will have the same regret, and to add insult to injury, monetarily too.

The words "Heat of the moment" came to mind as I seen him drop kick Fania. Too bad for the both of them, because they were BOTH just 8 laps from the finish.

Tony

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Last year, I was watching an AMA roadrace on Speed Channel. Not sure if it was Superbike or Supersport. Can't remember the track, either.

A rider went down and slid off the track. Uninjured, he immediately got up, ran back to the track and laid down on the track, in hopes of generating a red flag. I am pretty sure it was Yates, but can anyone confirm it?

Top Bottom