creedaz

Sep 7, 2003
i'm brand new to this sport so bare with me here. this summer i fell in love with dirtbikes. and i am now of course wanting one. i just turned 14 i am about 5'3ish i wiegh probably about 110 and i am looking at four strokes. i once sat on a yamaha ttr125 and i fit the thing pretty well. i couldn't flat foot it but it worked. i am in between the lines of a honda or a yamaha. i also found the crf150 and 230. are any of these good bikes? and which bike is really worth the money and all.

-Creedaz

creedaz

Sep 7, 2003
and why are 2-strokes so much higher than four strokes? i was looking through one of those cycle traders and i decided that i dont really care what stroke i get. i just want a dirt bike that fits me and that moves.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i'd reccomend a crf 150. it is a little bit bigger that the ttr 125, but it will last you longer. also, two strokes are probably higher than 4 strokes becuase you were probably looking at race bikes. fourstrokes are usually more trail oriented and designed for beginers. but all of this is changing now.

it's the fourstroke revolution! i ain't happy.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by xr100ider
i'd reccomend a crf 150. it is a little bit bigger that the ttr 125, but it will last you longer.

Not quite sure how you can make that statement since the CRF 150 has only been out for much less time than the TTR.  The CRF 150 is a competition race machine where the TTR 125 is more a trail machine that can be raced.

two strokes are probably higher than 4 strokes becuase you were probably looking at race bikes. fourstrokes are usually more trail oriented and designed for beginers. but all of this is changing now.

it's the fourstroke revolution! i ain't happy.

You are slightly off here.  The fourstroke revolution has to do with emmisions, the standards set fourth by the EPA are pushing two stroke motors into extinction. 
At 14 years of age you are really just beginning to grow.  How tall are your mom and dad, brothers, sisters?  If you buy a bike to fit you now, you will likely be too small for you in 6 months to a year.  The TTR or XR line of bikes make excellent learning bikes and are very capable trail bikes.  The newer four stroke MX bikes are performance machines and for some beginners(if not most) maybe too much bike.  Ultimately, you have to decide on price, type of riding you plan to do, access to riding areas, your mechanical abilities and your parents limitations.  If you buy a performance type machine, you had better expect to work on it regularly.  If you have to pay someone to do this work, the cost may prevent you from doing much riding.  All bikes need maintenance, performance bikes, two stroke or four, require routine checks and adjustsments for many more parts than you may believe.  Failure to do these checks, degrades the machine and its value, thus, making your investment less wise. 
I'm 41 and work on my bikes routinely.  Some work I have done by professionals but most I do myself.  IMO, performance two strokes or four strokes are very fun and can be riden on the trails with small, simple modifications.  A trail oriented bike, requires much more to make it a competitive bike for racing but is doable. 
Think about how much you will weigh and how tall you will be in a year, then pick a bike that is designed for the type of riding you plan to do. 

Last edited:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Having been on a TTR125L for a year now, I had the chance to race a CRF150 two weeks ago. I wouldn't consider the CRF150 a "competition race" bike.

I could tell a slight increase in power in the CRF over my TTR. I didn't notice that much of a height difference. What was noticable to me is the seat to foot peg measurement was two inches greater on the CRF. This made it more comfortable for me to jump. I'm 5'3" also and a few years older than 14!

In the long run, I think I would have been better off with a CRF150. They weren't available when I was shopping.

If you are set on racing, I think you should look at a 2 stroke 85. The 4 strokes that are available in the mini-cycle size range just aren't made to race. They are "recreational" bikes. If all you want to do is putt around. I think the CRF150 will fit you for a longer period of time than the TTR.

One thing I have found while bike shopping is that the bikes on the showroom floor are so stiff in the suspension that they are very deceiving. I tried to get on a brand new CR125 and could only touch with one foot. Later at the track I was able to get on a bike that had the suspension set correctly for a rider my size. I was able to touch with the balls of both feet.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I wouldn't consider the CRF150 a "competition race" bike.

Considering Honda gave the bike CRF discription defines the machine as a competition motorcycle as compared to the XR line of bikes.  The big differences are in suspension on engine design.  I have not checked the AMA rules but I would imagine that the CRF150 is legal in the 80cc classes.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by BSWIFT
I wouldn't consider the CRF150 a "competition race" bike.

Considering Honda gave the bike CRF discription defines the machine as a competition motorcycle as compared to the XR line of bikes.  The big differences are in suspension on engine design.  I have not checked the AMA rules but I would imagine that the CRF150 is legal in the 80cc classes.

Hmm.. well...

Im not sure if you know this or not, but Honda recently got rid of their XR line, and changed it to the CRF line. CRF 100's, CRF 80's, 70's and 50's are not all competition 4-stroke motocross racing bikes.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
The CRF150 would only be legal in the 125 class. The rules state 126cc-250cc 4-strokes run in the 125's. I think that is why Yamaha hasn't put out any of their modified TTR's. It sounds like they have an awesome 170 that really flies, but wouldn't qualify in the 80 class.

The CRF did seem to have more power than my TTR. It has 12 hp stock. I think even the fastest 80 riders out here might still get beat if they ride the CRF vs. the other 80 riders on 85's.

creedaz

Sep 7, 2003
i doubt i will ever get into racing but if i do thats a ways away from here. i think i would probably just go trail riding and stuff. i live in alpine UT so there are quite a few places where i can ride it (plus some of my friends have em too) i was just looking at this cycle trader and i saw a 2000 xr200. and then i looked on honda.com and it wasn't there. anyway would this be to big for right now? because if i were to grow it would probably last me longer. and there are alot of 2-strokes for sale. if there is a way to like make them more the trail type that would be good because there are some cheap ones here. but i hear that the torque the 4-strokes churn out really works better with the trails. well i'm kinda being pushed and pulled in all different directions so please help.

Creedaz

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by creedaz
i doubt i will ever get into racing but if i do thats a ways away from here. i think i would probably just go trail riding and stuff. i live in alpine UT so there are quite a few places where i can ride it (plus some of my friends have em too) i was just looking at this cycle trader and i saw a 2000 xr200. and then i looked on honda.com and it wasn't there. anyway would this be to big for right now? because if i were to grow it would probably last me longer. and there are alot of 2-strokes for sale. if there is a way to like make them more the trail type that would be good because there are some cheap ones here. but i hear that the torque the 4-strokes churn out really works better with the trails. well i'm kinda being pushed and pulled in all different directions so please help.

Creedaz

If you are going to be riding on flat land, many people will prefer 2-strokes for that too. Personally, I love the powerband about 2-strokes. There is really no way to explain the joy of them until you ride one.

Kawasaki's KX and Suzukis RM 85's and 100's have powervalves, and would be alot more suitable for trail riding with their great throttle response, smooth powerband, and low end and mid power, as opposed to a Yamaha YZ or a Honda CR, where those bikes are more suited to be ridden the hell out of the top end, ridden hard, and basically meant for specifically track. If I had an 85-100cc bike, personally I would go with a KX or an RM since I do not ride on the track all the time.

So thats something to consider. Otherwise, a CRF 150 is a great choice!

creedaz

Sep 7, 2003
man, there are so many things to choose from. but i will consider your guys advice. so far i've got that the ttr125's, crf150's, rm and kz 80-100's are all good bikes. i guess it's whatever one gets to me first. and just the other day i saw my friend and he had a honda 80cc (wasn't sure of the type but it was kinda old, i know it had those old dual shocks in the back) and it was quite large. so i am now aiming wider and my range is now 80-200cc (possibly). and i am now pretty sure that i am getting one used so do you guys (and girls) know of any sites or sources that have used bikes for sale?

thanx

Creedaz

creedaz

Sep 7, 2003
oh ya! i was also wondering about the KTM and DRZ (i think thats what they are). i've heard that these can make great trail bikes or something.

thanx

Creedaz

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
The KDX line is great. Its a 2-stroke bike more meant for trail riding. However, its also a pretty big bike, and not to mention a bit more money than the 85s (over 1,000$ or so more)

If you can spring for it, its probably one of, if not the best dirtbike out there for riders looking to do it all. A great all around bike, for the all around rider.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Porstala F9
The KDX line is great.

If you can spring for it, its probably one of, if not the best dirtbike out there for riders looking to do it all. A great all around bike, for the all around rider.

Can't argue with that statement at all.  I had an 89 KDX 200 and there bullet proof and easy and cheap to hop-up.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm 5'6", 140lbs., and 13 years old and I jumped from a RM80 to a KDX200 easily. The KDX might be a little big. Here is what I have learned:

>CRF150-basicaly a XR150, more power than a XR100, better/
taller suspension
>DR-Z and KLX125-heavier than TT-R
>TT-R125 and 125L-pretty heavy
>XR100-great weight(40lbs. less than a TT-R), less power than TT-R
>RM and KX80/85-more power than a trail bike, better suspension, less low- end power/lugging power than a trail bike
>YZ and CR80/85-suitible for more expirienced riders, less low-end power than a RM or KX
>KX100/RM100-KX85 with bigger wheels
>KTM 85SX-to expensive, nice bike-high quality parts
>KDX200/220-nice low end power(for a 2-stroke), still has top end power
>XR200-not enough power for the additional weight, higher seat than XR100
>DR200-too heavy, more of a dual sport bike
>TT-R225-too big/heavy!

Notice-Do NOT get a RT100-hasn't been updated for years

FOR SALE-1997 RM80-never raced, set up for trails-$1300
CALL (618)-783-3366 in central Illinois

Top Bottom