Yet another fork swap, this one was easy.

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
I recently picked up a KX front end from an auction site. The seller said the forks and triple clamp were from a 96 KX125. I found out this was not true as they were 43mm nor 46, so I guess they are 94-95 (Blue anondized). In any event I used them, as I only spent 150.00 for them and if I need to get them redone I will. My biggest problem with the stock forks is rock hits, where I ride in NE we have rocks, rocks and more rocks in between deep muddy ruts. I just wanted to let everyone know that putting this front end on a 97 220 is as easy as it gets. The triple clamp fits like it was made for the bike, bearings, steering stops, everything. The only thing I need to do is use the KX brake hose and routing and make a new axle, or find out the diameter of the kx axle, as I am using the KDX wheel. When I get some time on these forks I will post a ride report.

TD3

Dec 18, 2004
Good deal on the forks. I'm interested in your opinion on the upgrade as I'm going to be doing the same myself. I picked up a 90 KX 250 parts bike that has a Pro-Action built shock and forks. I'm pretty sure they're both a direct bolt on for my 89 KDX200.

BTW, Mud, rocks and more mud and rocks is exactly what we have here in Maine! :nod:

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
Ride update

I finished the install and have a few rides on the front end. I found out the forks are from a 1991 KX 125, as I stated before the triple clamp and steering stops fit perfect. I ended up getting a KX wheel and axle to keep everything matching. As for a ride report, the difference is amazing. I ride in New England, mostly on sharp edged rocky trails and these forks work perfectly. At first I thought they felt a little soft and they may be as I am over 200# but I don't feel them bottoming so I will play with them before changing springs. The action is smooth and predictable, the forks bring the bike to the next level. I definately am glad I switched, and this swap was absolutely painless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom