Yet another headlight question

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
I bought a '98 KDX200 that just has a number plate and no headlight. The wiring still exists, however, and I'm considering the UFO Ghibli replacement. It has a 50/60w bulb in it, and I know the stock lighting coil is probably not up to the task. My question- will this light just light dimly, or will I damage my stock lighting coil? I've already performed a search for this, so you guys don't beat me up, please? :laugh: Next question- What is the correct part number I need for the replacement Moose lighting coil? Thanks, and I bow down to your supreme KDX knowledge. :worship:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is no such thing as 'burning up' a lighting coil due to excess load applied. That won't happen.

It just won't work.

OEM coil is good for 45 watts. Use it and you will get dim lights with the spec you list.

PN for Moose unit? Don't know.

Try RockyMountainMC. They have the Electrex coil. Same thing you'll get if you order something that comes in a Moose bag.

Your search should have told you a couple of things I'll repeat here just for fun.

The yellow wire is the hot wire coming from the coil. It is NOT regulated. It's AFTER the headlight switch that the power is applied to the red wire, which goes to the regulator under your seat.

DO NOT hook your lights to the output of the switch without including that red wire. You'll blow 'em up.

There has been mention a number of times regarding use of an LED unit for the taillight to save some amp suckage. Last I looked at my LED unit in my taillight I got to count the number of discrete components the assembly consists of.........'cuz they were all rattling around separately under the red lens cover.

Not too good at resisting vibration it would seem.

Happy night riding.

Top Bottom