Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Well I havent been on here in so long I feel I should post in the new member section. A little history, I started with a 96 KDX200 in 2004. It was fun, but the powervalve did not work and I did not have the money or knowledge to fix it. The bike would lug good but had absolutely no mid to high end power. It got sold and eventually I bought a 400ex. It was pretty fun but I learned that I like two wheels better. That was probably somewhere around 05 or so when I sold it. Fast forward to 2008. I found a killer deal on a KTM250exc ($900 and nothing was wrong with it). It was a fun bike, but it was a little bit much for me. I never crashed it, but it was a little intimidating at times. I liked the power, but that bike had way more talent than me.

I figure this is as good a spot as any for a new paragraph, so here goes. I now have an almost 3 year old son, a wife, a decent job, and a mortgage. I want something that I can ride in the woods and trails that is kind of forgiving. I guess what I mean is something I can become a better rider on, but not get bored with in a couple months. Im not really interested in jumping or riding on the track, just play riding basically. However, I dont want something boring and slow. I'd also like to get my son a pw50 in a year or two and take him with me. So, I want something that can rip pretty good when I want it, but also be tame enough to follow a small kid on.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6' 215lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
As far as riding not very aggressive, but I want something fun.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods, with friends and/or children
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Some but I'm not fast
5) Do you think you will race ?
Possibly an enduro or harescramble if I feel confident
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I prefer a 2-stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
All of the big 5
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Not much, $1000-1500
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

The first part of this pretty much says it all.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I apologize for any mistakes that may be in the first post, I was typing that from a tablet.

Anyway, the KTM I had was a great bike, I would have liked to keep it, but it was a little bit fast. I just can't afford to get hurt, I know I could get hurt on an xr100, but you get the point. The stuff I will be riding is mostly trails, not really single track, more like stuff Jeeps and trucks could go on. Maybe some powerlines and stuff like that. I was thinking about getting a 125. I have ridden a 01 or 02 yz125 before and it was a lot of fun, I was in a big open area though. It had enough power to keep me entertained. I think it might help me become a better rider than blasting around on that old KTM I had. Plus, they can be found all day long in my price range. I really prefer the 2 stroke though, I don't want to have to worry about a 250f dropping a valve and costing $1000 to fix.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
125s are alot of fun. You are at the tippy top size wise though. If you're happy with the power just keep up on the maintenance and it should be fine.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I guess my only worry with a 125 is being able to ride along slowly with my son when and if he wants to ride. I assume if its jetted correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Im gonna get another KDX200. I've read countless threads and I keep coming back to it. It seems like the perfect bike for me.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I have an old 88 ( air cooled kdx) and my dad has a ktm 125 sx, so i might be able to give you a good idea.

The 125 - the 125 is good, my dad has it geared down and a flywheel weight and it does really well, he rides with me and my friends sometimes, we ride tight single track trails, but aggresivly, I have a 250 exc and my buddys ride a combo of exc's and MX 250's. The 125 does not have much low end and without the flywheel weight is not very "forgiving"

the kdx - I always thought of it as having close to the power of my dads bike, it honestly doesnt, peak hp wise, but in the trails we never can really grab all the top end a motor has to offer, the kdx had a close mid - upper mid compaired to the 125. very strong and fast enough.

but the low end of the kdx far surpassed the 125, you will probably not enjoy lugging a 125 around nearly as much as the 200

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Well, just an update:

Never did get a bike, but my boss was selling a 2000 Polaris Trailboss 325. I bought for $250. It ran awesome but was slow and really boring. I traded it even for a 2003 Suzuki Z400. I know another quad. It is pretty fun to ride but I just got it because its better than the Polaris and I figured it would be easier to trade for a bike.

More than likely ill end up with a 125. I can't find many KDX's for sale around here. I may go for a 250 I'm not sure. It's really just gonna depend on who wants to trade, unless I can sell this thing first.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom