Yet another maintenance advise......

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Dirt bikes lead a pretty rough life...keeping them in marginally good working order can take a lot of time and money.

re: brake pins

Problems with these have been discussed before. I thought I had taken good care of mine.

I cleaned them every time I changed pads with a scotchbrite to get them nice and smooth. I use 2-3 sets of pads a year.

I always looked for divots/dings where the pins ride in the pad slots, would chamfer/clean those up as required. They never were any big deal.

Any time I replaced pads I would ensure the slots actually slipped on the pins. They don't always. If they didn't I would rattail the slots to make them right. Also to remove any sharp edges on those slots.

I put anti-seize on the threads everytime I put them back in, never over-tightened them, always used a good wrench...nothing goobered that would damage the allen head.

Here's the bugger. One of 'em stuck anyway. The allen-head rounded out like butter.

A good way to turn a ten minute job into hours of fussin'. I ended up drilling out the head to detach the pin shaft so I had enough depth to use a correctly sized ez-out (screw extractor). I lucked out in getting the head out with no damage to the caliper.

Here's the point. Replace your pins before you have to! Maybe after a couple years and a few sets of pads, put that in your GP maintenance column (General Principle). If you wait until they give up you're likely in for one heck'uva time!

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I know how you feel the one on my dads bike stripped. Tried getting it out by turning the pin with vice grips and it broke then tried turning the part that was left and it broke. Next we tried an EZout which of course broke. So we took it to a machine shop and they drilled it out but didn't have a metric screw tap to fix the threads. So now we need to find a tap. BTW moose makes a pin with a hex head on it.

Top Bottom