Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
Well, I finally got a shop manual today and decided to check it out. Looked at the carb pages since I've been having problems, and low and behold, my 1988 KDX has a 1985 carb on it!!! WTF? How much of a difference will it make if I get the correct 88' carb? Even if it will run OK w/ the 85', I am tempted to just get a complete 88' carb b/c I have no idea what else has been screwed with.

Also, I just replaced all the o-rings/washer/clip/spring/ball on the kickstart and it lasted all of 2 rides before breaking everything off. Guess I will just have to get a new boss and lever.

I know how well this bike can run when it is correct, and it's just so frustrating when my friends want me to ride w/ them and I can't b/c my stuff is broken. Does anybody have a source for an 88 complete carb assy, kickstart lever and boss? I would like to get them ASAP, don't need anything new, just serviceable.

PS- Thanks for everyone's help, without this site I would be completely lost and would never have bought a KDX in the 1st place. Can't wait until it is running right and I smoke everyone in the woods :thumb:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Josh,

I'd say to give the online auction a try or search on motorcycle salvage yards and see what they may have. Good luck. I know the feeling of not riding while your buddies are out having a blast. My KDX is currently engineless, as it is out for botom end servicing. One buddy already has like 5-6 rides in this year. I can never seem to get out for the early season rides. Just make up for it by riding late in to the season. Again, good luck on your quest.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Give Mr. Fredette a call. Don't know that he has one, but not checking with him first would seem a bit of an error to me.

http://www.frpoffroad.com/

You're having problems with your kicker I take it? Again, ask Mr. Fredette. I know the later model stuff he has available (his kicker for the 'H') has been working well for me. Again, don't know if he has 'stuff' for an '88 or not.

Never know until you ask. ;)

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Josh

My 86 KDX came with a Mikuni carb (round slide) and my 88 KDX has a Keihin carb (flat slide). Stock the bikes had about the same performace. The Mikuni will work ok if it is the right size for the bike. Is the Mikuni a 34mm bore?

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
In the Clymer manual I got it has schematics for all the different types of carbs, 83 through 88. They are all different and mine happens to match up to the 85', so that's how I figured it out.

Yeah, the kickstart/boss are pretty worn I guess. I got the orings, washer, clip, ball, and spring, and they sure didn't last very long. I will either have to find a used set or fabricate something, b/c there is no way I'm paying $100+ for a kickstarter on a bike that only cost me $800.

I guess the "shop" I bought it from wasn't much of a shop, as soon as I brought it home I went on a ride, got back, and figured I should check the air filter to see if it was dirty. There was not even an air filter in it :ohmy: Poor KDX :(

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Josh you'll want to watch out for a 35mm PWK which was used on 1988 to 2004 KDX200s. They were used on a number of mid 80s + MX bikes as well. Shouldn't be too hard to find as its a popular carb.

David

kdxmojave1

Feb 10, 2004
season, whats that? where i live you can ride all year long. also ama outdoor nationals start this weekend at my home town track!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I used to have an '88, but it had the '87 Mikuni carb on it. Apparently mine was just on the change over (actually built in late '87) so this may have been the case with yours. All those Mikuni's were VM34's and just slightly different in the jetting department. You should check the model number of your carb and compare it to the manual. Even if it does prove to be from an '85, my point is that they were not all that different, and it should just be a matter of fine-tuning the jetting (i would think).

good luck with it...

Andrew

Top Bottom