Yet another "What Bike Do I Get" thead...

moore321

Jun 20, 2007
Yet another "What Bike Do I Get" thread...

So I figured I'd jump in on the discussions here and ask for some advice on which bike to get. The problem is, I'm completely new to riding, but I'm not a small kid. I'm 24, 6'4" and 200lbs, so a lot of the beginner bikes might be tiny for me.

I'm looking at the TTR230/CRF230's, because they're cheaper and a little more "beginner"-y (a.k.a. less power), also a tiny bit smaller and lighter than the 250s.

However, would investing in a WR250/CRF250 be better for someone my size? Since I haven't ridden anything lately, it's hard to gauge. A friend of mine just picked up a WR450... I sat on it and it's about the right height, seems a little heavy (probably just not used to it), but I didn't ride it to see if it's "too powerful."

I don't want to be a b**ch, but I also don't want to kill myself learning.

Oh, and I'll be trail riding and cruising on the dunes with friends, moderately aggressive (probably not over 50-60mph), not a mechanical expert yet but quick to learn, prefer 4-Stroke Yamaha (that's what my friends ride), tons of dealers in my area and I'm on somewhat of a budget (as in, saving $3,000 to buy the 230 would be nice if it's not going to be a sllllllllllow bike). Also, I live in Southern California.

-J

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I will never under any circumstances recommend at TT-R 230 to anyone. In your shoes I would be looking for a WR250F or for a more budget friendly and beginner friendly ride perhaps a used TT-R 250.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Also don't look at buying a bike as "investing", that's about the polar opposite of the truth :)

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
A guy your size should be looking for a 450 4-stroke or 250 smoker, IMO. Yes, they are very powerful. You're 24 yo and should be grown out of that "I'm invincible" phase and ride smart. Just b/c the bike will go fast doesn't mean you have to. I ride a CBR954 capable of 150+mph, but I never ride that fast. You might have your hands full the first couple times out, but I think you'll be much happier 3 months down the rode with the bigger bike. Be careful and keep a finger on that clutch and you should be fine. Again, just my opinion!

Top Bottom