Yet another "What bike do I get?"

Woodson1

Jun 7, 2007
Like the title says. Thanks in advance!

1) I am 5'10" and 160 pounds (and 43 years old)
2) I'm pretty physical and definitely aggressive
3) I will be riding woods with friends mostly and never on a track.
4) I'm probably a "4" in riding experience, but it was many years ago (street bikes since then)
5) I will not be racing
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Put it this way: I do fluid changes on by car and not much else.
7) I prefer a 2 stroke but only because back when I was riding, the my choices were full-on MX bikes or dinky little trail bikes. I love the "hyperness" of a 2 stroke.
8) There are tons of dealers around me.
9) My budget is around $2500
10) I live in Canada
11) I'm 43

Woodson1

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. I've since looked into that bike and it sounds like a great fit for me. It's a little out of my price range, but I can always find a few extra pennies somewhere...

May 10, 2007
its a fourstroke

but if you rode many years ago you should try a mx 4stroke

they are very quick now with lots of power

but if you are against them then something like a 200 2 stroke should be good

Woodson1

Jun 7, 2007
How about a YZ250? I guess I'd have to put lights on it though? That's what I had way back when but I didn't care about lights when I was a teenager (or registration, or insurance, or....).

Woodson1

Jun 7, 2007
OK, I test-rode a KDX220 and didn't care for it. Just not enough snap. I'm looking at 3 bikes right now (I've upped my budget somewhat). They are a YZ250, CR250, and TM Racing 250. They are all '02's and about the same price. There is a dealer in Canada that carries parts for the TM, so the rarity is not too bad of an issue. Is there a clear winner among these?

Thanks again.

Jul 9, 2007
The 02 CR250 is the ticket, ergonomic, suspension, and handling wise! BUT the 02 (and newer, but ESPECIALLY the 02s) CR 250 engines were tempermental and were down on power considerably compared to the 01 and older models. they switched to a Case Reed design and the electronicly operated RC exhaust valve.

The YZ 250 though, that engine is considered probably the best 250 engine period. The suspension, handling, and ergonomics arent quite as good as the Honda but not far off by anymeans. This is my recommendation! Its also a VERY reliable bike, alot of people I know praise how well their YZ 250s and how they hold up.

The TM...well I cant help ya there because I have no idea about that brand at all, they are pretty trick looking...lol thats as deep as my discussion about them goes!

Jan 3, 2007
Woodson1, the TM is an amazing bike as far as looks and performance go. It is hand crafted and has many parts you will find on factory works bikes. They run very similar to a KTM 250XC. The dealer you are talking about are great people and work hard to make you happy, and have a good selection of parts on hand. But any of your bikes you listed will do.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom