Yet another what kind of bike should I get...

Oct 2, 2007
1) I'm 5' 7" ~130lbs. Small build.
2) I'm very physical and can become very aggressive when I'm confortable with what I'm riding.
3) I will be doing most of the riding on my friend's property. Plenty of trails with mostly tight turns, very little straight away. So I will need something agile and responsive. I'd also like to get out to some tracks here and there.
4) I raced BMX for 5 years. I've been riding quads on my friends property almost every weekend (they all have quads, I prefer 2 wheels, hence this post) . When I was 14 I rode some bikes here and there but never actually had one.
5) It's possible that I would want to race - but I will most likely buy a new bike if I intend to get serious with it. I'd still like the option to race casually here and there though.
6) I've been working on 2 stroke engines since I was 12. I'm very mechanically inclined.
7) I prefer 2 stroke because of the above reason. I also like the power you can get out of them, however, I'm not ruling out 4 stroke completely. I like the reliability of 4 stroke, definitely a factor because I don't want to be replacing parts all the time, and for the most part, will not be racing.
8) I live in Philly, plenty of places to go to.
9) I'd like to definitely spend under $2k. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $1500 range, if possible. Obviously this means an older used bike, and I'm fine with that. I don't have a problem with getting a bike that needs a bit of work, but only if it impacts the price making it cheaper in the long run. I don't want to shell out over $1000 for a bike that doesn't run and have it sit around until I can get the money for parts to fix it. I'd rather just wait and get a nicer more expensive bike that runs fine from the start.
11) I'm 17.
12) I've been leaning towards a good used CR125. They seem to be the best for me. I'm a rather small person with a small build so I'm not exactly sure I really need a 250. Responsiveness, agility, quick turning, and consistent power in the lower gears are definitely important. The property I ride on is huge, but it has very little straightaway. There are a few straight sections but they lead into tight berms, so I wont be opening it up much, however, that doesn't mean that I won't be opening it up period.

Last edited:

GO-BIG

Oct 2, 2007
ktm 200exc.

super reliable race bike, easy to work on and they are torquey in the tight stuff and also good on a mx track (not that heavy eather

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Because of your self imposed dollar limit, and experience with 2 strokes, get yourself a good used 125. Rebuild it over the winter and amaze your friends in the spring!

With your build stick with a 125 and enjoy the lightness of it for as long as you can.

Jan 3, 2007
I think at your weight you should look at getting a 125 2 stroke of some sort. If you like the CR then buy one. I think you would benifit from a flywheel weight to help out bottom end stalling and a smaller counter shaft sproket for better bottom end power.

Oct 2, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I think at your weight you should look at getting a 125 2 stroke of some sort. If you like the CR then buy one. I think you would benifit from a flywheel weight to help out bottom end stalling and a smaller counter shaft sproket for better bottom end power.

Yeah, whatever I get I'll most likely change sprockets for more low end. We've had to do it to just about every quad at the property.

Thanks for the answers, I'll be looking all fall/winter for a nice used bike (I need to work more hours to afford one too :bang: ), rebuild it and be ready to ride in the spring.

dbryder

Oct 5, 2007
Flawless 2002 yz125

I am trying to sell my 2002 yz 125. Bike is like brand new. It has new chain and sprocket, new clutch lever and cable. Tires are in mint condition like brand new. Has a pro circuit pipe. Fresh top end. I'm asking $ 1700 obo if interested i will send a picture

Top Bottom