Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
We decided to take a quick road trip to Yosemite today. A quick word of travel advice...DO NOT GO TO YOSEMITE ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND! The traffic was absolutely insane and we spent most of the day sitting in the car. I did manage to ditch the car (and the wife and kids) to snap a few pictures. I only brought my Sigma 10-20 (thanks again Okie!) to force me to figure out how to use it. I'm slowly figuring out what I need to do with this lens and I'm learning a little every time. Hopefully the next trip will be even better!

Attachments

• fall field.jpg
    fall field.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 149
  • tall tree.jpg
    tall tree.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 146

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
This shot was my favorite of the day. :)

Attachments

• red tree sun.jpg
    red tree sun.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 147

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nice shots Kawi. Try doing a B&W conversion on the last one, it looks pretty cool.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Nice shots Kawi. Try doing a B&W conversion on the last one, it looks pretty cool.

Yeah, I need to try that. I tweaked the White Balance while it was still in RAW and then I boosted the saturation a little bit to give it a more orange feel. I'll try and play with some B&W conversions tomorrow.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
How's this? I converted it to black and white, duplicated the layer, darkened the top layer, blurred it and then applied a layer mask. Then I painted on the layer mask to reveal the sharper/lighter version underneath it in the center area. I was trying to get the outside edges even darker and make the detail pop a little bit where the sun was shining through.

Attachments

• red tree sun bw.jpg
    red tree sun bw.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 130

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Excellent job on the B&W Kawi. That makes it a really outstanding shot.

Okiewan said:
Very nice! I miss that lens...

I thought about trading my Sigma 1-20 for a Nikon 12-24, but every time I use the Sigma I'm reminded of how sharp it is and how good a shot you can get from it once you understand how that ultra-wide angle view works. I can't see the Nikon being worth double the cost.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks guys! I'm considering making a large print of that and hanging it somewhere in our house.

Top Bottom