Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Yosh stainless slip-on for the DRZ-E. So far I'm not that impressed. OK, I've only ridden it down the street. It's first real test will be this weekend.
Initial impressions:
1) LOUD !!
2) softer off the bottom
3) slightly quicker revving
4) slightly more on top
5) sounds mean
6) lighter by about 1.5-2 lbs ??

more to come as I thrash test it

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
You, of all people! Screwing up that wonderful and ingenious stock DRZ system with a useless and LOUD aftermarket pipe. I ain't ridin' behind you anymore (which, of course, is my usual position). I wish I could put Yoshimura and Big Gun out of business completely... they've done more damage to our sport than we can calculate.

Scrambler400

Nov 29, 2000
Bill, You'll love the Yosh. I've had it on my "E" for almost a year. It opened the bike up everywhere, top to bottom. I don't know about the "softer on the bottom" comment. I think you'll change your mind on that one after a good trail ride where you have to lift the front wheel over some obsticles. The added noise is a factor though. From what I can tell of other systems I've heard on other DRZ's the Yosh is one of, if not the, loudest. Thats the only drawback.

B

biglou

Just put my full system on last night. The diameter looks to be 25-50% larger for the entire length of the pipe from head to can. I didn't think it was any louder than the FMF slip-on, just different. More of a "Thud" than a "Thump" sound. I re-jetted from 165 up to 168 as per the instructions. I thought better of riding it down the street. It was close to 8PM when I finished. First ride this Saturday. Can't wait!

------------------
2000 DRZ400E

DK

Feb 26, 2000
I've got the full Yoshi Ti system and agree with most here on the thread, IT'S TOO DAMN LOUD!!!! I'm thinking of selling it and going back to stock, the power gain wasn't that dramatic, although I did lose 8lbs. Come on Yoshi, you guys can make them quieter. We'll need that if we intend to keep on riding on public lands.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Shhhhhhhhhh........Competition-only. It will have the stock unit on at all VSTA rides and in Colorado. Besides I got it "free"....can you blame a guy
smile.gif
I'm also gonna see if it can be made quieter.

Mark, you have no reason to ever be behind me...well maybe in the real tight stuff.

It is L O U D !!!!!

Firemedic530

Nov 12, 2000
Lou, let me know about the difference in riding. My cousin is buying a DRZE and is curious if the complete system is much different from the slip-on. I know I felt an improvement throughout the power range over stock. I also have the spark arrester core and it made no difference in decibels
frown.gif
I had planned on switching back and forth with stock depending on if I was going to be in sensitive areas, but it took a torch, large vise grips and a hammer to seperate the header from mid section when I had to ship the silencer back to Yosh. I have the stainless steel complete system. I just try and lug it if I am near houses on trail rides or Enduros. I am going to install a 90 degree turn down as soon as I can find some pipe that fits inside the tip. Lou, how is your supension? I have been riding mine with the studded tires and it feels much better over the 70' double, but I am feeling a little deflection in the woods. The temps were in the 20's so I am going to wait for warmer weather to change settings. Tim

------------------
DRZETIM's new name

B

biglou

Tim-I sprung for the stainless/titanium system since I get a fair price from my local shop. The slip-fit from the header to the tailpipe is sweeet. We went to one of the local tracks Saturday and it was unbelievably muddy. But, I did get to do a nice "Fling the mud off the tires" run (several times) and I have to say that the pull from the bottom end is noticably stronger. There were a couple places on the track where I could feel the difference in the suspension. It seems to launch at a better angle for me and feels a lot more nimble through the whoops. I let Agent Orange do a couple laps with it so I could listen to the engine under load. Loud or not, I gotta say it sounds sweet. As far as that 70' double, well, maybe next week.
wink.gif

------------------
2000 DRZ400E

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
SlowJack....

Make sure you wait until after I buy a Big Gun system for my 600 (to replace an already LOUD White Bros. pipe) before you put them out of business.

It would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

------------------
Kevin
1999 XR600R
badassxr600r@aol.com

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
I beleive he said he WISHED he could put them out of business.I don't think he was actually going too do it.Are you Slow jack???
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tennessee Thumper (edited 02-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tennessee Thumper (edited 02-05-2001).]

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Real ride report:

Pretty much better everywhere. Bottom, middle, top. And yes it is still LOUD. I will be switching back and forth a bunch.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Glad you like it, I've got the ss/alum. system on mine, noticed on the first ride the front wheel was lighter, woo hoo, doesn't seem any louder than most of the other "piped" four strokes.
Like firemedic, I just take it easy near other people, though noise isn't such an issue around here.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
You guys talk about the system being louder than stock. I haven't seen an aftermarket exhaust system for any of the recent high-performance four-bangers yet that isn't MUCH louder than stock, especially for YZF/WR 4xx bikes. I ride with two friends, one has a WR 400, one has a YZ 400, both with FMF exhausts, and if I am right with them, I can't even hear my own bike. The aftermarket needs to address this noise issue, and so does Yamaha, their YZF's are way too loud, even stock. Ktm and Suzuki managed to make good exhaust systems for their four-strokes that have reasonable sound levels, and riders everywhere are yanking them off to put on loud aftermarket systems. We recently lost another good riding area near here, the reason? Too many loud bikes bothering the houses that where a couple of miles from the area. Don't get me wrong, this isn't just a four-stroke issue, there are too many loud two-strokes also. We as a group have to take this seriously.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Why didn't I take the blue pill???

mlangley

Feb 18, 2001
I have the DSP stainless version (its the same pipe as the Yosh except the name on the silencer). I love this pipe! Its a little noisy, but tolerable. I'm running a 178 main, 48 pilot and the needle moved up to the second notch from the top. Yes, I know the lean needle jet sounds counter productive but this jetting with airbox mods (snorkle out and a sizeable piece out of the right side of the airbox) I'm getting 44.3 hp on the dyno and 45 mpg to and from Mike's Sky Rancho in Mexico.

Opening up the airbox makes a huge difference. Suzuki did to this machine like the old DR 350, it made the airbox too small and by cutting out a section of the airbox, the engine really breathes. The side plate functions as the right side of the airbox thus expanding its useable area to move air in to the engine.

DK

Feb 26, 2000
Pete - I didn't see a reply to your question, but the SA doesn't make any difference to the noise level on the Yoshi pipe. I hope some of the after market pipe guys are reading these and seeing a desire for quieter pipes.

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
DK and Bill, thanks for the replies. I have a WB R series and the little screen cup of a spark arrester doesn't do anything for noise either. I wouldn't mind it being quieter, but the stock was too quiet (IMO). I would like something in between and even lighter.
wink.gif

Top Bottom