takes almost 4 feet for me

That would take a bonfire. :yikes: ;) :nener:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
OK, is it barn-fire or bon-fire?

If it's bon fire is that just a fancy pants way of saying "good" fire?

For the life of me I could never understand why anyone would get all giddy about going to a barn fire. Seems the livestock and the farmer might be a bit put off by the whole
thing.

Oh, and while I'm at it. Is it jury-rigged or jerry-rigged?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
A bonfire (sometimes mispronounced 'bombfire') is a large controlled outdoor fire made from bales of straw or wood. The word is believed to be a corruption of "bone fire" deriving from a Celtic midsummer festival where animal bones were burnt to ward off evil spirits.

Jury rigging refers to makeshift repairs or substitutes, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand. Originally a nautical term, on sailing ships a jury rig is a replacement mast and yards improvised in case of damage or loss of the original mast. The use of the word "jury" in this sense dates back to at least 1719, when it appeared in Daniel Defoe's novel The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. There are various theories about the origin of this usage of "jury":
  • From the Latin adiutare ("to aid") via Old French ajurie ("help or relief").
  • "Jury-mast" derived from "injury-mast".
  • From the French du jour ("of the day"), and thus temporary

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I still like barn fire as opposed to a seemingly french word like bon fire,I have to get some fries,later! Is there more different variations on the jury rig term or what? What profession holds bragging rights on the use of this term?Plumbing,politics,law,automotive(oh no this is sounding like a way of life for certain individuals!) and dirtbikes!

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
A bonfire (sometimes mispronounced 'bombfire') is a large controlled outdoor fire made from bales of straw or wood. The word is believed to be a corruption of "bone fire" deriving from a dirtbike midsummer festival where XRPRED bones are burnt to ward off evil spirits!!!!

You saw it here first ladies and gentlemen.Pred has gone down into the history books.A very sacred moment indeed.Please talk in hushed tones and remove your hats.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
XRpredator said:
A bonfire (sometimes mispronounced 'bombfire') is a large controlled outdoor fire made from bales of straw or wood. The word is believed to be a corruption of "bone fire" deriving from a Celtic midsummer festival where animal bones were burnt to ward off evil spirits.

Jury rigging refers to makeshift repairs or substitutes, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand. Originally a nautical term, on sailing ships a jury rig is a replacement mast and yards improvised in case of damage or loss of the original mast. The use of the word "jury" in this sense dates back to at least 1719, when it appeared in Daniel Defoe's novel The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. There are various theories about the origin of this usage of "jury":

and here all this time I was waiting to meet this McGuyverish "jerry" character that rigged stuff up...

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Papakeith said:
pred, you complete me

Why don't you two get a room! This is a family site and we really should keep it that way Dr. Evil! ;)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
XRpredator said:
takes almost 4 feet for me

Why? Your arse hair is only a foot off the ground. :nener: :laugh:

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
XRpredator said:
Man, seems like them French have a different word for everything! :whoa:
Ken

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
XRpredator said:

its nice to know that someone paid attention to his/her French class :whoa: .

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
and here all this time I was waiting to meet this McGuyverish "jerry" character that rigged stuff up...
No doubt, I also had grand visions of some redneck named Jerry, using bailing wire and "duck" tape to create a miracle fix ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bsmith said:
No doubt, I also had grand visions of some redneck named Jerry, using bailing wire and "duck" tape to create a miracle fix ;)
ducktape.jpg

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Have you all nothing better to do? My goodness... :|

Top Bottom