You Know You’re a NorCa rider When…

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
You’re tempted to justify not cleaning the air filter after every ride - after all, there’s been no dust; all mud… you ponder bearing and seal life rather than, say, tire wear; priorities do change.

Speaking of mud, why is it after post-ride bike washing, there’re still deposits in every nook and cranny? Remove just one part for maintenance, and discover a stronghold - to the liking of concrete; “Thud!” onto the garage floor, from a spot you know was addressed.

And we have this “conveyor belt” of a drive chain, which takes the aggregate/mixed-mud and packs it into the countershaft area and all other guides and sliders. I do manage to clean it well well, but usually hear a “CaH-RUNCH!” of a small pebble between the Sunstar steel sprocket and Regina O-ring chain.

Another thought on mud: why does it stain everything, and mostly in those hard-to-reach spots? You can tell where you’ve been by the resultant hue. A fine-flung layer is laid at the engine’s front, and the entire fender undersides, leading to trailing ends. And what’s with these so-called self-cleaning foot pegs and brake lever tips?

Grip warmers aren’t for sissies anymore. And bark busters never were. Or were they? Glove liners, fog-free lenses; there’s only so much a man can do and remember.

Forget about graphics (let alone bike looks): grit grinds them dull, and finds its way behind the sticky, loose frays, brought on by bush brushing and manzanita swipes. Temperature swings cause curls like celery strips and carrot peelings.

Along the “dull” theme: that’s what plastic surfaces do; quite well, I might add, and in no time; moreover, when new: like on your first time out.

Seat covers are likely to become punctured with sticks and branches before they breakdown from normal wear, UV damage or age. Radiators poked; weeds lodge in unusual places.

Then there’s the most important discussion before the morning loop: to jacket or not to jacket; that is the question. Whether it is more noble to donn a second jersey….And then later, not how many total miles, but how much trail time within those miles. My, how few we’ve traveled!

Knobs don’t wear just on the leading edges, but on the flats as well, with many small scratches and gouges.

You can get away with low tire air pressure, but not with a tight chain, nor without washing gear after every ride. Boots take a whole week to dry, and lose their newness quickly. Gloves, pants, jerseys – all become consumables with abbreviated, short life spans; no wonder there’s such a market – a couple of seasons and there finished.

BTW: when are we going riding again?

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
What, your boots dry?

You know you're a NorCal rider when you head out for a "three hour tour" of Clear Creek and return to camp by helicopter the next morning.

You know you're a NorCal rider when you know enough not to take your new scoot to Clear Creek, which eats aluminum like it's the flesh-eating bacteria.

You know you're a NorCal rider when your biceps, forearms, and neck and bloody and bruised from the manzanita lashings. And your new jersey becomes your vented summer jersey.

Placelast, I went to Carnegie last Wednesday and yesterday. Had to wash the mud off last time, but this time I got wise and sprayed no-stick stuff under the fenders and wherever. No wash needed. And my air filter is pristine.

Just waiting for a good storm to come through so I can head out to Clear Creek with you and fremontguy. Need some more frequent flyer helo miles. I'm still unemployed so I can ride during the week.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Very good Placelast!! :) I witnessed a friend puncture their seat cover on a brand new KTM200 just last weekend at Clear Creek. I 've got a few more "Manzanita Swipes" myself. On my bike and my neck.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Dang John!

What is this mud stuff of which you speak????

Better get yourself back to So Cal before you get web feet. :laugh:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:laugh:

Top Bottom