Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
I know what Dirt Bike Magazine says about the KDX . . . “That it’s dated and all that and for the life of them they can’t figure out why there is a 200 and a 220!! :yikes:

Well . . . I’m sure the technology is a bit "dated" but I have noticed something interesting and was wondering what you guys thought. When ever I look at the number of people viewing all the different forums on the forums home page, correct me if I’m wrong, but most of the time, if not all the time, (at least when I look) there are more people viewing Canadian Dave’s Just for KDX forum then any other. So what is that saying? If it is so "dated" then why is it so popular on these forums? Your thoughts . .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hop-up advice.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
lepper said:
It's just the best all-around dirt bike... period!

Damn skippy! Oh the things marketing will make you do or buy for that matter. A KDX will go anywhere and climb any other hill any other fancy smancy bike will. And with a capable rider can spank just about any modern machine. Heck you don't even have to do a top end but every 5 or so years.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well I agree with the mags, that Kawasaki has dropped the ball with the KDX. Most notably with front suspension ( they had USD forks at one time). But they are also inexpensive and will do the job quite well, plus they can be made better. Also if you test a 200 and a 220 out west I'd bet the 220 would be a very big mystery.

Okie is correct as well.

So I guess I've appealed to just about every viewpoint now, so I think I'll run for President next election... :)

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
Kawasaki has a great philosophy and marketing plan of not changing little insignificant things every year when not really needed by the consumer. This allows the price to stay low and the first model year gremlins to be sorted out. Look at how successful the KLR650 and Concours have become as well as the KDX200/220. This minimal change idea creates a very large following of owners who love the product and do not really want model dropped or seriously changed. The after market industry has lots of time to design and supply a huge variety of products. The KLR650 and Concours both also have very large internet support groups. The Concours Owners Group (COG) is one of the largest active single model rider organization in the country.
Price is very important for these niche models and there will always be disagreement on when to upgrade and when to hold the design and price. Most all KDX owners would gladly pay $200 or $300 more to get modern front suspension from the factory but Kawasaki does not see things that way.
I made big mistake of jumping to a KTM250EXC in 03 because I just could not accept idea of 20 year old fork technology with huge underhang. Well after 2 years of trying to live with all the very wierd, weak, and sloppy details on the KTM I am back to living and loving life with KDX and Honda XRs, both old school but very nice to live with.

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
I rode a KTM 200 at this years Dirt Week and it sure has a lot more zip then the KDX but I just entered the sport spring of 04 at the age of 37 and my wife had a hunch that the green bike (she or I for that matter had no idea what KDX meant at the time) would be the right bike for me. She was right. The cost factor (brand new 03 KDX 200 for $3,200.00) sure helped a lot. But I went on to find out that the KDX is reliable, low maintenance, lots of hop up ability which gives you something to grow into and capable, as braahp said:

Braahp said:
Damn skippy! A KDX will go anywhere and climb any other hill any other fancy smancy bike will.

Would anyone have any idea of how many KDX’s there are out there compared to all the other bikes? What percentage of the market do they have? If there are ton’s of KDX’s still running, that may be another reason why there are always so many foraging through Canadian Dave’s.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I suspect not everyone is so rabid about riding and has to have the best bling just to have fun. It simply suits Joe Rider better than most. Riding is 0.5% of my life, and thats all it ever will be, therefore the hardware I choose is the kdx.

DC10

May 25, 2005
Just an absolutely awesome bike. Low maintenance, awesome response, fun and manageable. I certainly hope Kawasaki continues to produce this bike for many years to come. Based on its popularity, strong market and huge ownership base I think it would hurt them to stop production. I am, and will remain, a loyal KDX'er for as long as I can ride.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Look if you want a serious balls to the wall race bike then you do not want a KDX. A KDX will pale in comparison with the kx, cr, yz & rm If you want to full on race. But if you want a occasional race and lot's of reliable trail riding fun, buy a KDX.

The performance hit is there when you want it and the reliability is alsway there. Simple and straight forward.

Did ya'll notice the attempted swipe from the admistrator (Okiewan). He likes to step in and stir up the pot once in a while. He all to well knows how touchy we are about our little mean green machines. :nener: :laugh: :fft:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
No more hop-up than any other bike on these forums. A pipe is critical to performance of any bike. Carb mods are also a big hit and so is suspension... so where is the difference? KDX's are just cheaper, lower mantenance and more reliable...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
:laugh: Okie you should know better than to say anything that could even be misinterpreted about the KDX in here. As far as pipes being so critical I guess I'll have to get one for my RM250 to see if it can completely pull my shoulders out of the socket instead of only part way :p

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
In our racing association we see at least 450+ riders each weekend. I would have to ballpark a number but I would guesstimate over 55% of those riders are running stock pipes. Of the 45% running aftermarket pipes I'll venture another decent portion of them are running an aftermarket pipe after destroying the stock pipe. So If I had to put a number on it around here I would guess that less than 35% of our MX racers are running an aftermarket pipe because they needed to pep the bike up.

The point was this forum has been notoriously over sensitive to any perceived slight to the KDX since the dawn of time. If you think I'm a basher use the search function for the "What Bike" forum and your likely not going to find a person recommending the KDX for it's intended market more than I do.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Nope... don't think that and I'm pretty thick skinned but everwhere I ride in America... it's FMF pipes everywhere! Doesn't matter if it's a 4 stroke or 2... just the way it is.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
It's a swipe, by you saying the only reason (we) as a group come here is to find out how to hop up the bikes. Like nobody would ride a KDX unless it was hopped up.

All of us know from the factory the KDX is equipped with a quite and restrictive recreational pipe. It is not a full blow racer from the factory like an RM that does have a performance pipe installed on it.

If you do not think so then the next time you have to buy an aftermarket replacement pipe, take a look at the measurements of the pipe. If you think Suzuki has a special plant to build nothing but performance pipes for their bikes you would be seriously wrong. They probably buy them from FMF or PC in bulk.

I would venture a full 1/3 of the traffic here is hopup, but the majority of traffic is from people new to the KDX wanting to know information about how the bike works and experienced people wanting to know where to find replacement parts and tips and tricks of repair and maintainence.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Crunch said:
When ever I look at the number of people viewing all the different forums on the forums home page, correct me if I’m wrong, but most of the time, if not all the time, (at least when I look) there are more people viewing Canadian Dave’s Just for KDX forum then any other. So what is that saying?

And bickering posts like this help keep the KDX forum as one of the most used sections of the DRN forums. Just look, 3 pages in a little over a day :)

But really though, the KDX is a bike that appeals to all kinds of people, which is one of the reasons there is so much activity here. People use it for everything from a beginner's bike to a full out racer. And it may be low tech, but that means low cost, and it is a bike that opens the doors of motorcycling to many who may not participate if their only options come with a $6000 price tag.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
adam728 said:
But really though, the KDX is a bike that appeals to all kinds of people, which is one of the reasons there is so much activity here. People use it for everything from a beginner's bike to a full out racer. And it may be low tech, but that means low cost, and it is a bike that opens the doors of motorcycling to many who may not participate if their only options come with a $6000 price tag.

Exactly.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Green Hornet said:
Whats nice about Low Tech, less things BREAK & Expense is LOW

... did he just describe a shiny rock? :ohmy:

Last edited:

Top Bottom