woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well, Randy Sneller and I headed out Monday morning for our "normal" weekly ride. He
arrived on time at my home at 9 am (something that is getting less and less common :) ).
We loaded the bikes on the trailer and headed North, planning on parking at the 32nd
street "little O" lot just North of Baldwin for a whole day of ripping our way to Boon. I
am known as a very "spontaneous" person (you never really know where and when I may
show up for a ride) and Randy has picked up some of my "bad traits" in this way!! That
being said, as we proceeded thru Baldwin and came to the "10" intersection I noticed the
sign that said "Reed City at away". I looked at randy and asked if he had ever ridden
Evart. He said no - I have never ridden Evret. I reminded him of all the FUN I had
recently with "Young Ted" and the "Boys" for Chicago at the EVART loop and begged
him to let me turn atta way. As usual he caved (like I had to even ask twice). As we
traveled the route over to EVART I asked Randy if he had any idea of why he and
everyone else calls EVE - ART ,, EV - RET. He said he had no idea but he did know that
EV - RET is how everyone pronounces it.. I said that I Was starting a "fad" and going to
begin using the correct pronunciation (sp) for that FABULOUS riding area, just out of
RESPECT!! We pulled into the EVART riding area and parked where I had parked on
last ride. What a BEAUTIFUL day and FABULOUS COLOR!! My GOSH it was
GORGEOUS in that forest!! Usually I have a hard time "stopping and smelling the
roses" but on this ride I had a hard time not doing it!!! Something that I noticed as soon
as we pulled into the lot was the amount of leaves that were already down. If you have
ever ridden this loop you know of the MANY ROCKS and ROOTS that await us on that
loop that only add to the fun of the trail. Now picture ALL of them being hidden by
leaves and imagine what it was going on with the front of our bikes as we "ricocheted"
from one obstruction to another - what a CHALLENGE!!! We had a BALL - and got a
great workout! We got to the top (north end) of the loop and got involved in a "logging
operation" somehow. We came over this hill and right in front of us was a "tree puller"
dragging a full size Maple Tree to its doom and blocking the trail with its "biters". We got around this rig and tryed to pick the trail back up. We ended up "lost" (something
else I am getting known for, Randy and I enjoy it but there are others on this side of the
state that wont ride with me cause of this) and had to ride 2 tracks and compass our way
back to the trail. We finally found the trail again at the "Sand Pit" (KX500 country) and
played awhile. We got back to the Jeep with a total ride time of 2 hours!! We then
slipped the bikes back on the trailer and headed back over to the 32nd street lot. Stopped
at the Marathon Station for a "Fish" lunch and hit the trail!! We rode to the top of the
Little O and then jumped on some 2 tracks for a "cooling off" period. Rode the "tracks"
for about an hour - ended up back at the "Main Intersection" at the top of the "O" and
headed west to finish her off!! The "O" was in pretty good shape (whoop wise) and Ward
Hills were as fun as ever!! We got back to the Jeep just about dark - another GREAT
ride!! Randy checked the Odometer on his XR and we totaled 78 miles for the day. He
said (and I concur - but dont tell him that :) ) that because of the EVART workout it
seemed more like one of our 150 mile hard riding trail days!!
BETRER GET OUT AND RIDE IF YOU WANNA ENJOY THE COLOR!!
It is going fast!
Yep, SIEZE THE DAY!
Woodsy

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Sounds great.  Damn!  I'm jealous.  I guess I'll just have to post some really awesome trail ride stories in say Januray or February when the riding is REALLY good here.  (and not so good there.)  :p

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I dont know about that one Tim.. A set of "Kold Kutter" screwed nobs, some heated grips and some fresh snow is beyond description for a "winter riding extravaganza"! I ride year around here except for when it gets "hot and dusty" in the summer - then its street bike time..... However, we are all still looking forward to those "Southern style" trail reports!
The main thing is to get out and ride!!
Woodsy

Top Bottom