Yup...other 05 YZ 250 problem for me

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Well, you guys might remember me from my thread a few weeks ago about how my crank bearing went in my bike and thrashed the motor. Then the whole Gas ratio thing came about. Well, i have yet another problem with my bike :bang: . I just got it back last Saturday and put about 2 hours on it on tuesday breaking it all in again and stuff. Then i take it out again today and CRACK!!!! First kick of the day and my kick starter shaft snaps about an inch into the case. :yikes: NOW I AM FUMING OVER THIS HUCK OF JUNK!!!! I wish i bought a Honda or anything else besides this lemon. I know there is the slight possibility that it was re-essambled incorrectly Put it seriously has about 12 kicks on the thing since it was rebuit. And no i don't kick it over with a huge amount of force...there is barely a nick on the kick starter from hitting the foot peg. Now i get to go flip out and try and get either a new bike or trade straight across for something else.

Wish me luck, and good luck to all you other 05 YZ 250 owners. Hope your bikes don't suffer the same fate as mine. :(

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
That sucks, let us know how your dealer handles it. I've seen the same thing happen to another YZ250 (04 I think it was).

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
My 02 has probably 150+ hours on it and my kickstart is still holding up.

Hunk of junk? There haven't been many other reports of snapped kickstarters (Unlike the 05 KX250!!!)

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
have had my 05 since December....it has been flawless.

I suspect the dealer put it back together wrong...sound most logical since it has just been completely disassembled. No fault of the bike either time it failed in my opinion.

The YZ250 is bulletproof...it has been proven. Nice that you slide in the Serice Honda plug though.....interesting......

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Satch0922 said:
have had my 05 since December....it has been flawless.

I suspect the dealer put it back together wrong...sound most logical since it has just been completely disassembled. No fault of the bike either time it failed in my opinion.

The YZ250 is bulletproof...it has been proven. Nice that you slide in the Serice Honda plug though.....interesting......
nice honda plug in the middle of another yz bulletproof reply you should have thrown in honda plug yourself :p

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Satch0922 said:
Nice that you slide in the Serice Honda plug though.....interesting......

He didn't 'slide' that in. You may not have noticed, but the recent forum updates mean that certain keywords in our posts are hyperlinked to sites which are presumably DRN sponsors.

adrenaline420

Feb 17, 2005
Beat the **** out of my 2004 YZ 250 for a year. Bike is solid, not 1 problem. Yamahas are one of the most reliable brands out their.Very satisfied on the purchase of my YZ 250. And its way faster then all my friends 250's.

2 stroke 4 life ! Keep It Roostin!

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
While i am happy for all your guys flawless bikes, mine is still a piece IMHO. I agree that WHEN its running, it has one of the best packages out there. I love riding it, i just hate putting more hours in the shop then on the track.

Just a little update for ya, something is messed up when they re-assembled it. Dealer put in a new assembly...guess what....2nd kick...snapped again. Not only that...it cracked the casing around the seal. I looked as if the it was kicking back, what would cause this? Now thats just great. So here i am sitting wonder what did I do to the dirtbike gods to deserve such punishment. Cost is all covered either my Yamaha or the shop i bought it from, which is easy on my cheque book, but i have to wait for parts, wait for time to open up in the shop, and HOPEFULLY they put it back together properly. Meanwhile, i suppose to be racing...not watching, which i'm sure all of you can agree on, is cruel beyond comprehension.

Now for the Honda thing. I hated Honda for the longest time. No particulat reason, just because everyone had them and loved them so much. Then my Yamaha got stolen and i was offered a great deal on a new honda 250 in 03. I decided to try it out and it ran flawless. Not one problem in 2 years of HARD racing. I just kept up my maintenance. Mind you, it had less power, but at least i could count on it getting me throught my 2 motos every sunday.

I don't mean to be a whiner, but everyone has their limit and i met mine. Its good as gone to me. I'm not saying i'll never buy another Yami, just not for awhile. This has left a bitter taste for me and i think its time for me to move one. :ahhh:

So don't fret other owners, i think i got the lemon of the bunch. :)

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
ellandoh said:
nice honda plug in the middle of another yz bulletproof reply you should have thrown in honda plug yourself :p

ok......

That is a cool feature .....key words hyperlinked to sponsor's sites.....I like that!

Last edited:

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
oh yeah.....I am sorry if that came across the wrong way before...but I know CR guys love these threads...to them it's like discovering plutonium !! LMAO

Later

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Is this the same YZ that was run at 100:1????

I cannot imagine :bang: why your having issues with the bike. Did the mechanic recommending 100:1 also asemble your engine?? :bang:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The new assembly broke on the second kick? Either you have a super foot or your mechanic is on crack!!!

holywoodgrat

Feb 1, 2003
i have a yz 250 2000,has basicly the same engine as the 2005 never had a problem except this year my crank when out,but in less time my friend cr 250 2001 and 2003 cylinders have broken and the reed get eaten up
so if i where you i,d mix with the same oil but at 1:32 not
1:100 and get a new mechanic because here in the SAGUENAY YZ 2 stoke rule and the 250 are bulletproof.
and if you want a cr forget low end power the 2005 is like the other cr's no buttom end ,and when you need to pin a corner to do a triple the yam will give you so much power that you don,t have to rev your bike out (GET MAD,GET REPAIR,AND GET BACK THE BIKE YOU WHERE SUPOSED TO GET) :aj:

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Yeah yeah...this is the same bike that was in that thread. And for the record, it wasn't mixed at 100:1. I mixed richer than that but it was lean. I don't use that mix now...i use that HR-1 belray.I don't know how that has anything to do with a broken kick starter shaft though? :coocoo:
Again, what could have been assembled wrong for what is causing this this to happen and put so much force on the shaft? And NO, i don't have a super foot. I had a foot on the ground and sit on the seat. I know better that to ram the thing.

Also, i would concider to keep riding a Yamaha, just not this one. If i could get a brand new one and start from scratch, i'd probly do it. But that would a miracle to get that out of Yamaha...but i still might try. Any pointers? :think:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
tell em you know 40,000 bikers who will not be buying a blue bike in 05, 06 or ever unless they do something about lemons my next bike was gonna be one of them blue 450s......key word ........was

holywoodgrat

Feb 1, 2003
contact yamaha canada in ontario 416- 498-1911 tel them you had your bike repair for a crank failure which was covered by the 30 day warranty and now the engine case
(by the way i've cranked my bike like mad and never seen that happen on any of my bikes).Tell them in a nice way to send you a new engine and you will send the old lemon one.
if possible have your dealer contact them and hopefully he can put your new engine in... good luck

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
i was talking to my dealer today and he was telling me about a guy that he sold a 2005 yz250 to and he has had the exact same problems and connot figure out what the problem is. if you get it sorted out i would be curious what the problem is.

markdup

Jun 7, 2001
Just to inform... i had my kickstart shaft break on my 2004 YZ250 exactly as described. took out the whole casing. I am only 70kgs... no abuse at all. Yamaha SA didnt warantee it.

DevilYZ250

Sep 10, 2004
I have a YZ250 2004, and have never had any problems such as the ones that you have described. Not to say that it was any of your fault, but I only weigh 140lbs and I damn near have to jump off the ground to get mine started, meaning I am coming down with all my weight to turn this beast over. Sounds to me as though you just got a bad bike from the factory, they all can't be the same. I would deffinately contact yamaha and tell the whole story, who knows you might get lucky. I wish you all the luck though. I feel your pain.

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Well, I was covered by warrenty...luckly. I'm still waiting on parts and should be in on Friday. Dealer is putting it in for me and going to analize everything. Wish me luck and i'm counting down the days till the 06's come out cause this puppy is a time bomb!

Top Bottom