tomz

Jul 10, 2007
I want to replace a weaping fork seal and save the trip in to the shop ,a mate helped me a while back with a yz 85 as it,s my young blokes new race bike we want to do it together is there any tricks to gettin it done other than the workshop manual ,and allso setting the oil again.
Rick

briank1986

Jun 4, 2007
I just changed the fork seals in my bike a couple of weekends ago (first time doing it myself). I wanted to save the $200+ on this project. It cost me around $50US for both seals and 5wt oil. I would definitely change both seals while your at it.

You'll need some sort of "fork seal driver" to do the job, the actual tool will cost you around $40US. I made a driver out of 2" PVC pipe, split it in half and put a hose clamp around it. I cut one of the old seals in half and placed in on top of the new seal as I drove it in with the PVC pipe.

I had to use an impact wrench to get the dampening rod bolt out of the bottom of the fork.

It took me about the whole day, but it was my first time and wanted to take it easy step-by-step. Next time I'm sure I can get it done in a couple of hours.

Here is a good Guide: http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20&p=42&hilit=fork+seal#p42

Hope this helped!
Brian.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Sorry - I missed the part in the thread title about the 125 part - Just saw 85 in the post.

Briank1986 is correct, the dampening rod must be removed, but if you loosen it before removing the forks from the triple clamps, you can do it without an impact.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Try the film negative trick, it saved me fork seals. Most often than not fork seals don't need to be replaced they simply have dirt stuck up in there. Pop the dust seal off and spray some brake clean or something up around there to get rid of all the oily dirt and gunk. Once that's all clean take a film negative, pretend you're screwing it into the fork and you'll feel it bottom out and keep the film turning in the same direction and back it out. There will be dirt and gunk on the end. Do this a few times and it should clean it out. I was sitting and my shop and actually watching the oil run down my fork leg and drip onto the floor. I did this trick and there was a spec of sand that was holding the oil seal open. Its a good idea to replaced oil in both forks too.

dray

Jul 12, 2007
:ride: One thing Ive done from time to time , if I dont need to disassemble and insepct a fork. Fill the fork completely to the top with fork oil. Remove any dust seal and retaining clips around the seal. Take fork to a press and and compress it. Do this slowly, with a shop towel wrapped around the fork to prevent any oil spray. The seal should pop right out. Now just drain oil, replace with correct amount after your new seal is in.

Last edited:

tomz

Jul 10, 2007
We just got back from "louee" a great place to ride if you get down our way check it out on the net ,anyway we tryed wiping out around the seal and after 4 hrs the leak has slowed up ,might give it one more go cleaning but filling up the fork tube to pop out the seal sounds the go as the bike has not done many hrs yet
thanks Rick

Top Bottom