va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
This is something I've been curious about for a while. Why does the stock YZ 125 ignition cover have what seems to be a venting system? I just replaced the stocker with a Boyesen b/c the stock cover seems to allow dirt and possibly water to penetrate. The gasket on the stock cover was fairly new and completely intact.

Thanks.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I understand that it should let moisture out, but when you really look at it, there is a vent hole on top (outside of the gasket) and one on the bottom which is also outside of the gasket. The "vent area" seems to be running between the outer shell of the cover and the inner shell. It is difficult to explain, but I don't really see how it vents the area inside of the ignition cover. Further, aftermarket ignition covers don't seem to have any venting system at all. Will moisture really be a big problem with the aftermarket cover?

Also, when I removed my stock ignition cover there was a lot of dirt in there that had to be cleaned out. I can understand moisture, but there really was more dirt than I was expecting. I'm not complaining, b/c the problem is solved, just wondering why Yamaha choses to do this.

Thanks guys...

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Don't worry about the tiny bit of water build up it may get, I had the cover on the bike for at least 6 months without checking it and when I took it off and put the stocker back on. There was like maybe a teaspoon of water all together if that at least it wasn't dirty.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
I have 2 Z 125s we just take the cover off after riding wet or muddy conditions. let the bike sit over night with the cover off and every thing dries up. Also after high pressure wash. Not sure if its necessary but it makes me feel better.

Top Bottom