Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
Hey all,
I recently brought a second hand Yz125 (hasnt been thrashed) and in reasonably good condition, before i start riding i can pull the choke on and kick start it in 1 kick, after letting it rev a little and idle for a bit i take off the choke and ride, If after ive been riding for a while i stall or i turn off the bike, it is really quite hard to start it again!
Does anyone know why? It is a reasonably new spark plug and if it makes any difference i am mixing 40:1.
And I thought it could have something to do with the choke, so just to confirm, pulling the choke lever thing UP is ON correct? and down is off?

Cheers.

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
i am using unleaded 91 because there is a sticker by my petrol tank that says unleaded only.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I'm assuming that your choke is a black knob on a brass colored plunger not a metal lever on a pivot that raises a brass colored plunger. Either way if the brass colored plunger is being pulled up/out from the carb body the choke is on.

From your description I think your using the choke to start your bike every time?

If that's the case don't use the choke on a warm/hot engine. The choke richens your A/F (air/fuel) ratio for easier cold starting.

When hot and it won't start try holding the throttle WFO to lean out the A/F ratio so it will light off.

Let us know...

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks all, Ive got it all figured out, just needs a bit of throttle when I start it, bike's great.

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I think all bikes have their little quirks. After my Yamaha is warmed up from riding for a while then stop for 15 minutes or so I have to give it about 1/2 throttle then starts on 1st kick. If I stop for 30 minutes or more then I need to put the choke on and no throttle and it starts on 1st kick. Might have something to do with jetting but thats what works for me.

Top Bottom