Yz 125... Metal Shavings In Gearbox Oil!

yz125_racer

Jan 8, 2007
Hey guys,

I know that i've already posted this a few days ago, but for those who haven't seen it yet: i need some advice!!

I own a 2001 model YZ 125, and last weekend before going for a hard ride i drained my gearbox oil to fill it with new oil...

After draining out all of the old transmission oil and then disposing of it, i noticed that on the bottom of the dish i had drained it into.. there were heaps of metal shavings! Like literally fine peices of metal in there.

After showing my stepdad who knows a hell of a lot about bikes, he just says "yup, that would be bits of your gearbox" So after hearing that, i definately DIDN'T go for a ride on it in that condition. They were only fine, silver shavings... but there were a LOT of them.

But the thing that gets me is that last time i changed my gearbox oil, the oil was perfectly smooth and there was nothing abnormal about it, except the colour... nor did it have anything foreign in it whatsoever.

So for you people who ride 2 strokes, what would your advice be? Do you think i might need a bottom-end rebuild, or.. (this might sound stupid) could this be a common thing with these bikes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Were the shavings magnetic or not?

How much was there? I usually see a few filings on my magnetic drain plug during an oil change. I figure most of it comes from the dogs on the gear. They do wear some every time you shift. It's a pretty small amount of wear, but it accumulates on the magnetic plug.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Gears and gear dogs are pretty hard and not likely that they would file away leaving shavings........ A dog will round off or break sometimes. Most likely it is bits of your clutch basket which I believe is aluminum (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) As you fan the clutch, the clutch plate wear away the basket. Does the clutch work alright? Does the bike shift smoothely? You could pull the clutch side cover off and check the basket for wear. Or you could ride it and change the fluid again after and see what comes out.........do this for a few rides and take it from there........I'm assuming there is no other weird noises coming from the engine and everything is functioning correctly.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My random checks have came to conclude the following,thin roll-gear shearing,clutch related-aluminum granules,dirty and STINKS! Like gm said,see if its magnetic.If that gear box has been worked on it may be self destructing,new gears do not like mating to old ones!You could gamble and put some oil in it,ride it and see if it is still doing it,Good luck! And anything heavy that happens on the clutch side stays on the clutch side,not the trans drain bolt. Oh and crappy oil and old european bikes did this a lot!

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Oh and crappy oil and old european bikes did this a lot![/QUOTE]

Yup........I remember lots of metal and shavings draining out of 360 and 400 husky trans oil back in the 70's........... it didn't seem to stop them though........125 clutches take a lot of abuse...........

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom