menihuni44

Apr 16, 2006
Ok i am looking to get a new bike and i want to be better on the track and i am going to get a 2006 and i would like to know which one would be better on the track. yz 125 or yz 250f.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
For me it comes down to money.

According to member "Masterphil's" study, a 125 costs about $10/hr to ride (gas, parts, maintenance). A 250f costs $20-$50/hr depending on the model.

If you blow a 125 motor, you might have $300-$500 in the repair. If you blow the 250f, you could be looking at $2000.00 in repairs.

I'm not a pro, and I don't have a lot of extra money, so the 125 was the way to go for me.

Plus I like the 125's lighter weight (I'm only 145 lbs) and better handling.

Of course, the 250f has a lot more low-mid torque and power, and thus is easier to ride.

(You can always bore the 125 to 144 - it's AMA legal now.)

menihuni44

Apr 16, 2006
i do want a bike to make me better but everyone is getting the 250f's and i want to be in the front of the pack on the track and have one of the fastest bikes there. What would be the best bike for the track between those two.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would think you already know the answer to this question, do you honestly think everyone would be getting the more expensive more costly to maintain 250F if the 125 was better/faster on the track?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
menihuni44 said:
i do want a bike to make me better but everyone is getting the 250f's and i want to be in the front of the pack on the track and have one of the fastest bikes there. What would be the best bike for the track between those two.

As Dirt Rider Magazine recently discussed, a mid 30s pro rider on a DRZ125 trail bike can beat a mid 30s "C" rider on a 4 stroke RMZ450 MX bike.

Speed is 95% rider. The 250F is definitely going to be easier to ride, but if you stay "on the pipe" on the 125, you can be competitive. I've pulled holeshots on many 250f's and passed them on long uphills.

It's up to you - if you don't mind the extra maintenance and cost, then get the 250f - it's not even really a question. The only way the 125 can get close to an equal footing is if you have it overbored to 144cc.

Still, speed is 95% rider.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you want to be in the front of the pack now, get the 250f. But it won't feel nearly as good as earning you way to the front of the pack on the 125 by becoming a better rider.

If you have 2 equal skilled riders, give one a 250f to practice on and the other a 125 to practice on, the rider on the 125 will have developed a greater clutch, throttle, and body positioning control than the 250f rider. I know that I started learning much faster after I got my 125 than I ever did on my 426f.

The thing I really love about the 125 is that I don't feel bad for revving the piss out of it, because a new top end only costs me $80 and 30min.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
robwbright said:
As Dirt Rider Magazine recently discussed, a mid 30s pro rider on a DRZ125 trail bike can beat a mid 30s "C" rider on a 4 stroke RMZ450 MX bike.

Speed is 95% rider. The 250F is definitely going to be easier to ride, but if you stay "on the pipe" on the 125, you can be competitive. I've pulled holeshots on many 250f's and passed them on long uphills.

It's up to you - if you don't mind the extra maintenance and cost, then get the 250f - it's not even really a question. The only way the 125 can get close to an equal footing is if you have it overbored to 144cc.

Still, speed is 95% rider.

This brings up an excelent point. You needn't even compare a pro to a "c" class rider. Compare two C-class riders and you're likely to find a huge skill difference. My friend and I both race "c" class, and I am far from a sandbagger in that class. Yet, it only take me a few corners to reel him in and pass him. Here's the kicker, He weighs 30lbs less than me and rides a 426f. I ride a 125. Clearly there is more to the equation than HP and how many strokes you waste.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Masterphil said:
This brings up an excelent point. You needn't even compare a pro to a "c" class rider. Compare two C-class riders and you're likely to find a huge skill difference. My friend and I both race "c" class, and I am far from a sandbagger in that class. Yet, it only take me a few corners to reel him in and pass him. Here's the kicker, He weighs 30lbs less than me and rides a 426f. I ride a 125. Clearly there is more to the equation than HP and how many strokes you waste.

Beautifully stated, Masterphil.

Top Bottom