boohoo583

Apr 24, 2007
Hey everyone i am new to this forum but i thought it would prolly help to get some pointers on here. I just bought a 05 yz 125 and i am coming from a ttr125. I havent really ridden it yet i just took it around the parking lot like twice.(no where to ride at my house) But i can sure tell there is a big difference i power. Can anyone tell me a good way to get used to the power? And also is there anything big i should know this is my first 2 stroke.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hmmm.. well, first place you go ride to get used to it should be somewhere soft.. That thing as a lot more power than that TTR you are used to.

I'd suggest getting up on the seat, and finding out how it hits. It will hit, and when it does, be ready.. You could easily find yourself on your back. Don't be scared of it, just get comfortable with when it hits, so you can be ready for the power.

As for maintenance.. Jetting.. Make sure it's right. Make sure you keep the RPM's up when you ride it. Makes life easier.

Find a good 2 stroke oil, and stick with it. 32 to 1 ratio. 93 octane or better.

Ride it like the cops are chasin you, and have fun.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Just remember that you need to keep the RPMs up. That TTR would probably run fine at low RPMs and would probably even "lug" and still produce some power. You won't get away with that on a 2-stroke, when it falls below the power band they tend to fall flat on their face.

When its in the power band, however..........

Rod

boohoo583

Apr 24, 2007
OK i actually got to ride it a little today not a lot just a little to help me get the feel of it. I am actually going get to ride it this weekend at one of my buddies properties so i am looking forward to actually hitting the powerband. One thing though do they normally not just sit and iddle i made sure to warm it up before riding it, but it still didnt want to idle i just wanted to make sure that was normal, or do i need to make some adjustments?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Most people will tell you that 2 strokes aren't supposed to idle. I tend to agree, but you can adjust the idle screw to get it to idle a bit.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
to warm it up i let it idle for about 30 seconds hold in the throttle then i put it in first and slowly start riding around lightly in first and second for about 5 min untill its up to operating temp then i race off and leave my bro and his ttr125 in the dust.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I know that two strokes can idle. My two stroke outboard motor will idle all day long.

My dirt bikes, however, idle is not so reliable. I am satisfied when my bike will idle for 30 seconds when I stop to take a breather. If I prop the bike up and leave it idling while I run off to do something I don't really expect it to be idling when I return.

My buddies bike will do that. Mine wont.

Rod

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Most people will tell you that 2 strokes aren't supposed to idle. I tend to agree, but you can adjust the idle screw to get it to idle a bit.
Ive also read that 2-strokes wont idle (read that in the service manual for the YZ 250F I used to own, actually) and I was like, "Whaaaaa???" :whoa:
As the others have told you, you will need to keep the revs up on the 125 to make it go. You basically have to ride it like you hate it.

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Yeah, and when it drops out of the powerband and you want to be back in it in an instant, feather the clutch (pull it in a little until the motor gets the revs up and then let it out while maintaining the revs) . I'd suggest not experimenting this on grass while turning... I did that and sprained my ankle. :whoa: .

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
sixds said:
does each gear have a power band?

It is the engine that has the power band, and is based on RPM. Doesn't matter what gear you are in. The different gears will put the power band at different speeds, but it will always be at approximately the same RPM.

Ideally, you will shift when you reach the top of the power band and then still be in the power band (but at the lower end) in the new gear. When you are climbing a hill and need to downshift you need to make sure you shift BEFORE you drop out of the power band.

Rod

Top Bottom