scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
Hello. I have a yz250 two stroke, so does a buddy of mine. They both make a knocking sound when they are at very low RPM. lower than idle, like when getting through a very technical section. His bike has done it for almost 3 years, and mine has been about a year with no problem. Does anyone else experience this, am I about to split my cases?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
When was the last time the crank / rod/ etc... were inspected?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, some bikes make this sound under that situation because a small pocket of unburned fuel gets ignited in the header pipe of the expansion chamber.

Pretty hard to prove this theory, though. But if two similar bikes have done the same thing for 1 - 3 years with no ill effects, it is unlikely both are about to grenade because of it.

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
dirt bike dave said:
IMO, some bikes make this sound under that situation because a small pocket of unburned fuel gets ignited in the header pipe of the expansion chamber.

Pretty hard to prove this theory, though. But if two similar bikes have done the same thing for 1 - 3 years with no ill effects, it is unlikely both are about to grenade because of it.

that is why I have been riding it! i was just curious if anyone else has a yz250 that does this. it def. sounds the same on both bikes, and it sounds like the bottom end which is why I have not just done a top end for the hell of it. Usually that (among other things) is the first thing I do when I am going through a bike I got used.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My guess is the only riders who are going to notice it are those who lug around tight technical trails. That is a minority of riders.

I'm one of those guys, and have heard similar noises on my bikes before on really tight trails. Never ridden a '95 YZ, though.

If the motor is not under a heavy load, it is probably not detonation.

Top Bottom