path21

Sep 1, 2008
I have a 2005 yz 250 that seems to be spittin excessive oil. I have a small crack in the head pipe, when the bike is runnin quite a bit of oil come out there. THe joint where the header and muffler meet also seems to leak more oil than i would like. I also noticed the other day when i started it up and let it warm up i had a oil mark on the garage door. Should have moved the bike farther from the door i guess.
I also noticed a small amout of oil comin out of the tube comin from the powervalve. I might just be freakin out, but want to fix it before it costs big bucks. We have snow, that might be exaggerating the oil drips. Any idea what the prob is

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You're bike is way too rich.

Don't know your location, so can't say about temp or whatever, but if it's spoogin all over like that, it's rich.

There are a million good threads on her about jetting, read them and learn to jet properly and you will solve that problem.

Ignore the people who tell you to reduce the amount of oil in your premix.. That's just asking for trouble.

Also, clean your carb, take off the pipe & silencer, clean them thoroughly, and repack the silencer.

You should also clean out the powervalve. Open the cover, and use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to clean it out..

Once you get everything clean, you can start jetting. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, just be careful and pay attention and you should have no trouble getting it running good, and not blowing oil all over the place.

You might even notice, once it's jetted right, that it pulls harder and is a bit faster.

The EPA will appreciate your efforts!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
+1 on what IndyMX said.

Learn how to jet properly yourself; you'll end up with a much better running bike, with a greatly enhanced spread of power, especially down low.

- All late model YZ's come jetted very rich for most people & conditions.

- Find a consistent fuel supply first.

- Do not be tempted to follow anyone else's jetting suggestions. Your bike, riding conditions & style are all unique to you.

- Do not try any "short-cuts," Follow the jetting thread's recommendations exactly. Only make one change at a time. Keep very good notes. Record air temp. & other conditions.

- Study & understand the tuning information in your owners manual.

- Do not listen to people that warn you that you might damage your engine. If you follow instructions carefully, you will have no problems.

It will all be worth the effort, I assure you! :cool:

PS: be sure to check your float level, and overall condition of your engine, before you get started.

Top Bottom