yz 250 lower rod bearing replacement

Texophilia

Jul 22, 2009
Hi guys, I just picked up a 2000 yz250 for a decent price. The guy i bought it from just rebuilt the top end and said he had put about six hours on the bike when it started rattling real bad. He pulled the top end off again and noticed that it had some play in the rod bearings. The top one looks pretty straight forward to replace, but the bottom one looks like quite complicated. Is this something I should try and replace on my own or would I be better of taking it to a shop? Also any ballpark figures on what a bottom end rebuild would cost?
Thanks, Bob

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
do you know how to wrench ? do ya have a service manual ? how close are ya to lake havasu city arizona (3hrs se of vegas) might be worth your time to bring it to me and ill go thru it for ya. (6hrs @ 45$ hr) and you buy parts.... (hot rod crank kit,bearings,gaskets etc..)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You can split the cases and get the crank out without too much trouble. A service manual sure helps move things along. You'll want to send the crank to someone to have the new rod kit pressed in though. Not really something you can do at home.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom