Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am usually very good about changing the tranny oil in my 1997 YZ 250. I have been running Yamalube 4 10/40 weight. I change this after each time I ride.

The last time I changed it I decided to try the Mobil 1 redcap 15/40 non energy saving oil. I liked how the oil worked and have no real complaints.

I used this for three rides, maybe 4 hours total and went to change it.
Upon draining, it looked like chocolate milk. I sat the oil aside for a few hours in a clear jar. At no time did it seperate like it had water in it. The radiator was still completly full on the YZ and required no coolant.

My question is this. The oil obviously looks water contaminated. Can this happen while riding the bike? The conditions were quite wet. I did have one slight excursion through a mud puddle in an attempt to roost a ten year old (payback). Otherwise, nothing too noteworthy about the rides.

Due to the muddy conditions I was also forced to powerwash the bike. Could this have happened from powerwashing?

Thanks for any and all ideas on this.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
it depends on how hard you ride i suppose, you should see the stuff that comes out of my rm144 after a couple of hard days at a sand track.

i use valvoline 10/40 and change it every 2-3 rides, i suspect the yamalube aint cheap!!

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
You changed to a different oil and upon draining it was dark, right??? If thats the case it's the oil. I use the Honda red stuff and after 1 moto it turns gray and after a full day it's pitch black. I don't even have aluminum clutch plates but for some reason the oil changes color real quick.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Squid...yea, that sounds like what happened. Between this oil and the V Force Jetting nightmare., I was about ready to start drinking more (if possible).
I was thinking water, but it never did seperate. Thanks!!

bclapham, I have been changing the oil enough that I did no tbother to ge tthe expensive Yamalube. I just used the regular 4 stroke stuff. It was rather funny, how I came across this batch.

We have a local store that sells "lost or damaged UPS shipments". Two weeks ago I was able to buy Yamalube pints for .89 cents each. I think they are packaged 12 to a case. I only found 22 bottles. Nice savings. I also picked up a DID ERT chain . New in box, 15.00.

The same store is selling one fork leg for a YZ. $40.00 for the brake side. I wish I needed it, but I have no idea what I would ever use it for. I also found 1/2 of a Works Connection Holeshot device. I paid 3.00 for it. I had to have it!

Watch ebay and motorcycle parts coming from Salt Lake. Notice how a bunch of stuff hits ebay on wed or thur. There are a number of guys trying to make a living selling this stuff. Nothing wrong with it, but they have no idea what the parts fit.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon,

You are obviously a notorious clutch abuser, so that MUST be your problem. :debil:

I can't believe that you were spending the $$$ on Yamalube for your tranny/clutch. :(

I usually run regular Mobil 10/40 or ATF Type F nowdays and haven't had any complaints.

I used to run the expensive stuff but I can't honestly tell any difference and I change the oil pretty much every ride anyways.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Stud, I usually use up 1/2 of my clutch on the start...no wait, I heard Jeremy McGrath say that once and it sounded cool.

I was using the Yamalube in my tranny because the stuff is crystal clear and it worked. Pretty lame reason, but sometimes NPS has it for cheap!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Could it have been the heat that broke down the oil? I noticed you were riding in wet/muddy conditions, did it require more clutch effort than your normal riding conditions?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by Faded
Could it have been the heat that broke down the oil? I noticed you were riding in wet/muddy conditions, did it require more clutch effort than your normal riding conditions?

That is a great point. It might have happened that way. It was very muddy and I used the clutch quite a bit. I still keep coming back to a section of the track that was closed due to a 7 or 8 inch deep mudhole. This was on the backside of a tabletop and not visible. I fouled up and drove right through it!  Very fun, but maybe that sucked some mud in the crankcase????

My only solution is to go riding this weekend.  I was supposed to go to some dumb X-Mas party, but I am afraid I have to ride instead.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I only mention this because after I've run in the sand (high load/heat) compared to the dirt my oil comes out much darker in color weather it's the Mobil or the Honda oil. The heat is the only thing I've been able to attribute it to.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
It sounds like a strong possibility. I had also done quite a bit of slow riding. the kids just got new Lem's....there was probably 1/2 hour of so of slow follow the leader stuff.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
hey gents, i STRONGLY recc that u try 80-90w gear oil; not only is this waht your gearbox wants, it lasts much much longer b 4 breaking down. yeah, if u were a factory rider they would run 5wt in your box and change it every moto; but they would also rebuild your clutch and tranny that night, too!

indy650

Oct 25, 2003
80w is way to heavy for normal riding, if my bike wanted 80w special super duper $20/L belray gear saver, it would have called for it in the manual.

It sais to run regular 10/40 motor oil in my bike, so right now im running 5/40 (my garage isnt heated so a little bit thinner on startups).

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
Rcannon, what track are you riding? I assumed ever thing would be closed by now. Deep mud pits? If it is combined with 8in deep silt sections, nasty jump faces and slick over watered landing ramps and corners, must be Jordan River, pride of the valley! Seriously, I have got to ride soon, tell me what tracks are open in Dec.
cy

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I was riding the jordan river track on Nov. 15th when this happened. It was trashed. I believe this closed on the 22nd of nov.

I hear the tooele track stays open year round.

Top Bottom