rwild

Oct 25, 2004
Thinking of retiring the YZ 250 and going with the ktm 300 xcw...I have been on the Yamaha's for most of my life..I ride woods hard fast and tight, love hills, love to take my bike where it looks like it won't go....But I am courious of the KTM suspension...Is it alot better for the woods like they say? I know the power is there...Thats what is good about the YZ the power is there...but I don't think the suspension is....no matter what i adjust the clickers to it always seems to be a rough ride...I know i can send them out and have them revalved etc..etc..but I don't think i want to dump that kinda money into it not knowing if it will help out alot....

Thanks

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's my personal opinion. Linkless rear suspension (what KTM uses) is not nearly as good as suspension with linkage (all Japanese brands, plus TM, GasGas, Husky, etc). Yes, you can get KTM suspension tuned to work well, but a bike with linkage is starting off better and can be tuned to work even better.

Moving to KTM for its suspension is probably not a good idea. Revalve your YZ and be done with it. Most tuners offer a guarantee, so if you're not happy with the revalve you can send it back in and they will adjust the valving again.

I took a ride on a YZ250 this summer and was very impressed by it. The stock suspension was actually pretty good for aggressive woods riding.

rwild

Oct 25, 2004
It would be nice to ride a 300 for a day...Is the 250 xcw the same as the 300 just a different engine??

Thanks

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I would choose the 300 mainly because I ride the desert from time to time and the 300's power would be nice to have in those deep sand washes and dry river beds.

As far as the electric start goes , I could care less about it.

BTW 2 strokes for life, How bad are they whacking you guys
up in Canada for bikes ? I am in the car business down here
and I know the Mftr's are screwing you guys on cars for no apparent reason other than profit.

rwild

Oct 25, 2004
I wouldn't get the electric start either....I am just curious if the KTM 300 is just an all around better woods bike than the YZ 250...

Thanks

Jan 3, 2007
mbaird, dont total understand the question. I think you mean as far as prices go, right? If so then they are killing us. With the current money values i could get a KTM 530EXC-R down in the U.S. as a Yamaha WR250F almost.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
I think he means with the dollar being on par. And yeah... I've been thinking of taking my boat down to seattle and smuggling a couple bikes across hahaha.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
you guys are wrong about the e start' it's fabulous! any bike needs to be sprung for a riders weight to work well. YZ's are valved for MX so it's going to be firm no matter what. some guys really like them for off road with suspension revalved and the motor du tuned a bit with a fly wheel weight.

for off road the linkless suspension is just fine, just read any off road results and there's a lot of orange in there

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Fred T said:
you guys are wrong about the e start' it's fabulous! any bike needs to be sprung for a riders weight to work well. YZ's are valved for MX so it's going to be firm no matter what. some guys really like them for off road with suspension revalved and the motor du tuned a bit with a fly wheel weight.

for off road the linkless suspension is just fine, just read any off road results and there's a lot of orange in there
I agree with Fred. I ride a revalved YZ250 with a flywheel weight and it's a great bike. I don't ride KTM because I can't stand the local dealer, end of story.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
You can’t go wrong with either bike.

I would have been inclined to lean towards the KTM but I rode a well prepped 2006 YZ250 this past summer and I was very impressed. I don’t know how much revalving was done but I do know that it had stock springs. I weigh about 170 pounds and this YZ was more plush than the setup on my KTM’s.

Still, it’s a lot of work to make an MX bike enduro legal.

Greg manton

Dec 26, 2007
the 300 exc always feels like an mx bike to me so suspention is about what a yz has unless you get on a track. a 300 exc is a great bike dont get me wrong but i dont think the suspentoin is very forgiving. Thats why these bikes are so great u get a woods bike with a light and bigger tank with the mx feel thats so fun. :cool:

beargun

Feb 15, 2007
Try Terrain Tamer by Bruce Triplett in NC , he does a great job with an offroad suspension, my 450 exc is set up perfect for me.

Top Bottom