ThumpinByYou

May 8, 2001
I was idling my bike tonight, breaking it in. and it started steaming. It was leaking coolant really bad. I ended up with a puddle of green under my bike. and all under the front was steam rising up over the seat of my bike??????? I checked the oil that was okay. pleae help?????

JB

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
lengthy idle time

I don't know about the 250F, but my 426F will boil over if left to idle more than 5 -10 minutes or so (it's happened only once while I was stuck on a trail, so I don't know the exact duration). I accept this as normal for the bike.

ThumpinByYou

May 8, 2001
yeah mine was idling for at least 7 minutes, but most of the fluid was coming out of the hose in front of the engine but behind the frame gaurd. I believe the coolant was getting on the engine and creating the steam.... ???????

JB

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
7 minutes is a long time to let anything idle this time of the year. If you see any fluid leakage during normal operation, then you might have a problem. i wouldn't panic, though. Sounds like a normal boilover to me.

Make sure your fluids are topped up before you try to ride again, and keep a close eye on it.

Last edited:

jorus

Jun 28, 2001
When I fist used my YZF 250 i had the same thing, coolant came out of that hose. It is just the overflow. I guess yamaha puts to much coolant in.

I had no steam cause the coolant didnt touched the motor, but I guess thats what happend to you.

Anyhow in your manual is a section about not letting the bike idle to long, they dont give a time for to long of course hehe.

ThumpinByYou

May 8, 2001
it was hot last night... close to 90. I think I am going to drain all the fluids myself and change them to get whatever crap the dealer put in out. The hose was cut short or not pulled all the way down because when the coolant come out from the "boil over" it gets all over the engine.
Thanks
JB

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
I guess you never read the manual. The manual clearly warns DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE FOR EXCESSIVE PERIODS OF TIME. It's the best manual shipped with a dirt bike. Very detailed and accurate compared to all the rest. You should try reading it, or if you don't have one, you better get one while your bike still runs at all.:)

Mark

'01 YZ267F :p

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
When are we going to see the following post again?

“I let my bike idle in the garage last night and the header pipe started glowing red!” LOL! It should be any time now since the 2002 models are on their way.

My YZF spit some coolant one time when it was new but has been fine ever since. If you change the coolant, use a 50/50 mix of distilled water (I get it from my dehumidifier) and good quality anti-freeze. Then add the recommended amount of Water Wetter.

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

I have had no problems with overheating whatsoever, even when trail riding with my kids.

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
I just got it put together last night. It fired up up second kick. Eric Gorr sent the cylinder to US chrome for boring and replating. It was a great job, nice hone work, and the piston clearance was dead on. I'm comfortable working on 4-strokes, so I installed the kit myself. It took me about 4-5 hours to disassemble the motor and then install the new cylinder/piston, checking everything carefully as I went. Sad, but I can't ride it until next week. It's one of those wife-maintainace weekend-in-the-mountain things. I'll post again after I have it broken in.

Mark

Top Bottom